Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Meet-up Guidelines : the "How-to start your own" sticky !

Meet-ups have been popping up like dandelions after a spring rain, and we all are thrilled to see how they are enriching our community thanks to your enthusiasm.

Since they are a fairly new phenomenon, it seemed like a good idea to post some guidelines to makes sure each meetup is as great as possible. If you organise / attend a meetup, feel free to mention any other tips you think could be useful, based on your experience.

• To propose a meet-up, create a thread in the lounge.

If you have a place in mind, choose an informal venue like a café, where people can get drinks, and give the address and clear directions (google maps, we love you).
    It doesn't have to be a café : one daring member has proposed a picnic in a park ! geeks out in nature, what a novel idea ! the perfect occasion to show off the amazing legibility of e-ink in full sunlight ! genius !

• Use the "Meet-Up!" thread prefix !! Alex made it specially so your meet-up will be easily visible.

• Location, location, location ! (oh, and date !!) Mention the city (if you know it), region, state (if in the US) AND COUNTRY in the thread title (you'd be amazed at just how many countries have a "north-west". Most of them, it turns out), and date (mid april, september 24).
    Example :
    "Edinburgh, Scotland MR Meet-up; Mid August?"
    "Washington, DC Area MR Meet-up: Aug 23rd in Herndon (USA)"

• give one to two months' notice !! some people have really full calendars !

• Tell a mod when things start taking shape (look for the names in green) and we will make an official announcement so nobody misses it ! Remind us near the date when all the details are confirmed ; we will make a reminder announcement as well.

• BRING YOUR DEVICE if you have one. more than one is encouraged !

• Planning to come ? reply in the thread, and mention which device you will bring.*

• chat it up ! and not just amongst yourselves : if random strangers are intrigued, explain to them what the devices are for and write down the MobileRead URL (site address) so they can get more info.

• be visible and find each other easily !!! there's a pdf of the mobileread logo attached to this post which you can print out to make signs, so all the mr members will be able to find each other ! it's A4 size but it's a vector format, which means you can print it larger if you want. i've left a bit of space under the logo if you want to write in a message. you can also print it smaller if you prefer.

Any member can start a meet-up in their area ! don't be afraid, it's a matter of choosing a friendly café and a date, and starting a thread. easy !

Meet-ups are the perfect occasion to take a look at a lot of different liseuses in one place, and talk to actual users about their experiences. Perfect if you're trying to decide which one to buy !

If no meet-up is scheduled near you, or you just want to see one specific device and don't want to wait too long, also don't forget about the official "see a device in your area hook-up thread" to set up a one-to-one demo.

That's all i can think of for the moment. Now go forth and congregate !

*Thanks Slayda for this tip.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobileread_logo.pdf (55.9 KB, 759 views)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
For the Washington, DC (USA) Area meet-up on August 23rd in Herndon, VA (shameless plug) we have also posted a copy of the carry out menu to give people a glimpse of the types of food available. Again, that's August 23rd at Euro Bistro in Herndon, VA. The bar opens at 5:00 pm.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

good idea, wood ! if you are planning to have it in a restaurant it's best to give some idea of the cuisine available especially for people who might have special diets (vegetarian, for instance). of course if you're planning it in a café or bar you don't have to worry much about that.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
[list]
[*]Use the "Meet-Up!" thread prefix !! Alex made it specially so your meet-up will be easily visible.
I knew I was weird but didn't think I was dense too. Where do I find this "Meet-up!" thread prefix?

Edit: I found it.

Last edited by slayda; 07-31-2008 at 09:42 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I knew I was weird but didn't think I was dense too. Where do I find this "Meet-up!" thread prefix?

Edit: I found it.
i'm glad you found it !

for any other people still searching, it is in the drop-down menu to the left of the title box when you create the thread. if you want to add it after the fact, click "edit" on your first post, then "go advanced".
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
So, if i start a meetup thread for my office in the basement, I can haz sticky?

Do I actually have to let people in my house?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, if i start a meetup thread for my office in the basement, I can haz sticky?

Do I actually have to let people in my house?
"we'll see", and "technically, yes".
Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
"we'll see", and "technically, yes".
I gotta think about this, then.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

you let us know.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You could always invite people to their own homes. Ask and maybe someone will want to hold the meet-up in their place and invite you. If you could promise to bring badgoodDeb, Patricia, or Zelda they would welcome yu with open arms for them. (Notice that I used alphabetical order for the names to avoid and show of favoritism.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

added a moibleread sign to help people find each other !

thanks lazyscot for this idea. i've added an A4 pdf of the mobileread logo to the first post (top of the thread) ; you can print it out to make signs so you can easily find each other in the crowd.

print it smaller to make cards with the mobileread url to hand out to people expressing interest.

print it really huge (it's vector, yo !) and add mobileread to the short list of man-made constructions visible from space !
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have a MacPro at home and would love to have an iChat with other ebook readers. Maybe we should start a listing for iChats.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #13
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Sorry, I posted a meet-up and didn't include the state and country. My bad.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
Sorry, I posted a meet-up and didn't include the state and country. My bad.
F1Wild, it's great you're starting a meetup ! i'll edit the thread title to add the state and country. i believe it's Arizona, right ?