Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
dongle
dongle began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Kindle (KT2)
Fake Register KT2 5.6.5

Hi All,

I would like to "fake" register my Basic Kindle (aka KT2) with jail-broken 5.6.5 firmware whilst keeping it in airplane mode. Is this currently possible?

I’ve updated to 5.6.5, then jail-broken with BD’s JB, got KUAL (and screensavers) working. The forum index page: wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KT2_Index makes a mention of placing a "reginfo" file. Do I need to get usbnet working to get it into the right path? I tried it manually, but no dice.

I’ve done a forum search, but I couldn’t find and info relevant to my device/firmware combo.

I’m using Windows 7 if it matters, can also use an Ubuntu live thumb drive if needed.

Thanks for any info. . . .
dongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
toothless
toothless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Yes you will need usbnet to access the root directories and create the reginfo file.

Search on the forum for the required format of the reginfo file. Remember that in 5.6.5 Amazon has added another line to the file. You can read about that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268427
toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongle View Post
Hi All,

I would like to "fake" register my Basic Kindle (aka KT2) with jail-broken 5.6.5 firmware whilst keeping it in airplane mode. Is this currently possible?

I’ve updated to 5.6.5, then jail-broken with BD’s JB, got KUAL (and screensavers) working. The forum index page: wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KT2_Index makes a mention of placing a "reginfo" file. Do I need to get usbnet working to get it into the right path? I tried it manually, but no dice.

I’ve done a forum search, but I couldn’t find and info relevant to my device/firmware combo.

I’m using Windows 7 if it matters, can also use an Ubuntu live thumb drive if needed.

Thanks for any info. . . .
You could do the work from kTerm.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
dongle

OK, thanks, I will give usbnet (and maybe kterm) a try.

The forum wiki for my KT2 I linked in my first post has "reginfo" in this format:
Code:
   #Thu May 21 01:18:20 CEST 2015
   givenName=A
   userId=amzn1.account.AAAARRRRJJJJ4444JJJJKKKK7777
   deviceName=B
   userName=C
   deviceEmailAddress=D@kindle.com
I assume that's current? It includes the "userid" line that bt4wang mentions in toothless' thread.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:32 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Register your Kindle and then look at the file.
You can de-register it afterwards if you must.
Advert
Old 02-23-2016, 03:42 AM   #6
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Offline registration for Kindle Basic/Paperwhite 1-2-3/Voyage with fw 5.4 and newer:
https://yadi.sk/d/Q9Y37V62pLfSb

Source:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=9
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193260
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87686
http://www.siralex.info/kindle-3/

Last edited by kaznelson; 02-23-2016 at 07:33 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Steps 4 and 5 in the readme_eng .. file could be changed .

Installation can be done with the MrPI extension to KUAL on all supported devices.
No need for two sets of directions.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
dongle

@kaznelson

Thank you so much! Easy for a thumb-fingered Win user like me, and worked perfectly. Two clicks and I'm "registered".
Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #9
arson650
arson650 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX-G, K3, HDX, Voyage and Nook STG
It works great, and was amazingly painless. Making collections on my KV now. +1 and Thank you big time kaznelson!
arson650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:14 AM   #10
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Installation can be done with the MrPI extension to KUAL on all supported devices.
No need for two sets of directions.
Fixed.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
arson650

Has anyone verified if this will still work with the 5.7.2 upgrade? I'm on 5.6.5 and don't want to lose it.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arson650 View Post
Has anyone verified if this will still work with the 5.7.2 upgrade? I'm on 5.6.5 and don't want to lose it.
What part of:
Quote:
Offline registration for Kindle Basic/Paperwhite 1-2-3/Voyage with fw 5.4 and newer.
are you having trouble with?
Old 02-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
arson650

Actually, no problems. Just checking ahead if the registration survives the update. But I'll try it now, and answer my own question.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arson650 View Post
Actually, no problems.

Just checking ahead if the registration survives the update.

But I'll try it now, and answer my own question.
Actually, I did not see that question in your post.
Answer: No

You will have to re-apply the fake registration.
Same-Same as always for anything that touches system files.

Hint:
It is an upate_*.bin package == almost always touches system files.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Actually, I did not see that question in your post.
Answer: No

You will have to re-apply the fake registration.
Same-Same as always for anything that touches system files.

Hint:
It is an upate_*.bin package == almost always touches system files.
And LibrarianSync is distributed via an update_*.bin as well, despite being nothing but a KUAL extension.
All this hack touches is the registration file in /var/local

Now, if you connect to WiFi in order to update, your Kindle will ping Amazon's servers and undo the forged registration -- but that is a different story.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote