Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Kindle Voyage now in Canada $$$

Amazon.ca is finally selling the Voyage on their website, but at a staggering price of $299 vs $139 for the Paperwhite. Since both readers have a 300 ppi, 6" screen, I find it hard to swallow the price difference. Seems like a lot to pay for capacitive page turn buttons and a light sensor. Am I missing something?
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
$299.99 Canadian is about £153. In the UK the Voyage is £169.99.

It's not that your voyage is expensive, it's that your PW3 is very cheap - £71.50 instead of £109.99.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 04:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Seems about right. C$299 is US$218. The US price is $199 with special offers; 219 without special offers.

The differences, other than the ones you mention, are a metal rather than plastic body and a toughened glass, rather than plastic, screen. The glass screen to my mind gives the Voyage a distinctly sharper and crisper appearance to the screen.

Personally I think the Voyage is worth the extra cost. You may of course reach a different conclusion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems about right. C$299 is US$218. The US price is $199 with special offers; 219 without special offers.

The differences, other than the ones you mention, are a metal rather than plastic body and a toughened glass, rather than plastic, screen. The glass screen to my mind gives the Voyage a distinctly sharper and crisper appearance to the screen.

Personally I think the Voyage is worth the extra cost. You may of course reach a different conclusion.

I'm in total agreement with you.

The Voyage is exquisitely made and feels superior. And the text is sharp, sharp, sharp.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm in total agreement with you.

The Voyage is exquisitely made and feels superior. And the text is sharp, sharp, sharp.
Careful you don't cut yourself!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

It's not that your voyage is expensive, it's that your PW3 is very cheap - £71.50 instead of £109.99.
Interesting! I hadn't looked at it that way. I think they introduced the PW when our dollar was valued higher than it is now, and they haven't raised the price on it. So it's a bargain.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Finally after more than a year after it was introduced in the US/UK? I won't buy it out of principle, let alone at that price.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
charlyee
Book Addict
charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, iPad Air 2, Surface 3
I believe the Voyage is also lighter and the shaped more like a paperback.

I never regretted paying the price but then again this is my first reader and I went all out for it.
charlyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Blame the Canadian dollar. So happy I bought my Voyage last year in the U.S. before the dollar got smoked.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Careful you don't cut yourself!

Well....not that sharp, I guess.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
patrik
Fanatic
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

In Sweden the difference is even bigger. About £107 for the PW3 and £184 for the Voyage (with special offers). (Including tax.)

(£107 for Kobo GloHD, £153 for Kobo H2O for more comparisons.)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well....not that sharp, I guess.
Paper Cuts! Ouch!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:24 AM   #13
Cesca
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good point. We don't have the "special offer" option in Canada to lower the price a bit.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #14
Cesca
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG1 View Post
I never regretted paying the price but then again this is my first reader and I went all out for it.
Nice way to start out!
Old 02-19-2016, 03:31 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the $299 include tax, or is Canada like the US, and confusing advertise prices without tax?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote