Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
bharkins87
bharkins87 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Talking Formats for the Palm T/X

I have been using ereader for some time and enjoy reading with my Palm T/X and ereader. How many other formats are available for the Palm OS? Sometimes books are available for one format but not others.
bharkins87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi bharkins87 and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharkins87 View Post
I have been using ereader for some time and enjoy reading with my Palm T/X and ereader. How many other formats are available for the Palm OS? Sometimes books are available for one format but not others.
You should also look at Mobipocket.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
PalmFiction will handle .rtf and .txt files as well as Palm DOC format.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
I read ebooks on a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is a Palm OS 5.21 device.

Aside from eReader, there is a version of the MobiPocket viewer available here, and an excellent open source PDF viewer called PalmPDF here.

A free, open source viewer from a Russian programmer called PalmFiction handles PalmDOC files, zTXT files, plain ASCII text files, and Word documents and RTF files (which it displays as plain text.) You can get it here.

My viewer of choice is Plucker, a free, open source offline HTML viewer for Palm devices. Plucker is intended to view web pages "plucked" by the Plucker desktop, a cross-platform application written in Python, which grabs the pages and converts to the format used by the Plucker on the device. I use it to convert locally stored HTML content, with the assistance of PDA Converter, a freeware Windows utility by Rafael Fetzer. PDA Converter provides a GUI you can use to select the desired conversion option, then calls the Plucker parser in the background to create the Plucker files. I have all of the Baen Free Library in Plucker format, as well a a large number of offerings from Project Gutenberg, and works issued under the Creative Commons license, for a total of about 3,200 Plucker docs in a 2GB SD card. Plucker is here, and PDA Converter is here.

It's annoying to have to recall which book is in which format, but at least I can handle just about everything. The major issue I can think of is that I don't believe PalmPDF handles DRM protected PDFs, but in practice, that isn't an issue here, as I don't buy them, and don't try to read PDFs on the PDA unless no other format is available for the book. Most don't reflow to fit the smaller screen, and sideways scrolling is a pain.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, bharkins87. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote