Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Validated Secure DE works on SONY (EPUB /PDF)

Hi All

I just validated that the new Firmware does support secure ePub and secure PDF.

Books on board has a free sample to test before you buy. Yesterday they had a problem with one of their sample books "Hot" they replaced it with a book called "The Year of the Dog".

For the Secure PDF I viewed a secure book I had previously purchased "Seven Indicators that move the Markets". Again the book was viewable on the Reader.

An aside, epub layout looks great. There seems to be great support for CSS and fonts and embedded images, making the reading experience great. However on the down side epub books don't look as crisp as LRF or PDF. I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me or if this is observed by others. The comparison was made using viewing the same book. Both formats where downloaded from Feedbooks. One used the default epub books and the other was a customized PDF downloaded by Feedbooks. (The customized setting reduced the margin size, font size and used Helvetica fonts)

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-30-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Updated last paragraph for clarity
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Ebookerr
Ebookerr began at the beginning.

Device: UTstarcom
Angry PDF Secure books from Ebooks.com

One of my reasons for buying a ebook reader like the Sony PRS 505 was to be able to buy ebook versions of heavy textbooks so they can be more easily carried around. However, since I live in Canada, the Sony CONNECT store has many textbooks (in my case medical textbooks) that are only available in the US. If Sony wants to have Canadians buying from their site, instead of Ebooks.com, they should get their act together and make these books available at their site. I can get PDF format textbooks from Ebooks.com and they are readable on my Sony. I guess Sony does not want my money!!!!

Ebookerr
Ebookerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookerr View Post
One of my reasons for buying a ebook reader like the Sony PRS 505 was to be able to buy ebook versions of heavy textbooks so they can be more easily carried around. However, since I live in Canada, the Sony CONNECT store has many textbooks (in my case medical textbooks) that are only available in the US.
There are folks who sell gift cards on this site. See the link Sony eBookstore Gift Cards for use outside the USA..

With the gift card you should be able to buy Sony Books, which is a much better format than PDF.

=X=
Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Minda
Minda began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony needs to get an online bookstore site going quick. I would purchase a PRS-700, but I live in a Mac-only household, and we are not getting a PC just for the Connect software. Sony clearly doesn't want my money either.

That Oprah code for the Kindle is looking more and more tempting, contentwise.
Minda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minda View Post
Sony needs to get an online bookstore site going quick. I would purchase a PRS-700, but I live in a Mac-only household, and we are not getting a PC just for the Connect software. Sony clearly doesn't want my money either.

I too live in a Mac-only household. I use my Sony Reader (a PRS500) with my Mac just fine (calibre for library management, for example). Of course, I never buy books from Sony -- partly because they don't support the Mac and mostly because they persist in polluting them with DRM (an acronym that should really stand for Don't Read Me!).

Instead, I buy from Baen (at www.webscriptions.net), and from FictionWise; I download public domain books from MobileRead; I even buy a very few DRM-polluted ebooks in .lit format (and promptly remove the DRM to ensure continuing access to them).

I really don't consider Sony's lack of Mac support to be a significant problem for me. If the books you want to read are only available via Sony's store, you might have a different experience.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

What Xenophone said. Um... why does your profile say you have a Sony? It sounds from above you don't.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Minda

I do/did have a PRS-505, but because my husband's work takes him away so much he has it right now. We use Calibre to put news on it. He also likes to take my iPod and my laptop and my Nintendo DS, so we really just need to get doubles of every gadget we buy. Since I'm the one with the gadget obsession, I'm like a one-woman marketing machine to him.

I contacted Sony about the connect bookstore, and they referred me to their news release website, so I am taking that as a "No" to Mac support for the foreseeable future.

I tend to read new non-fiction, and the prices on Sony's store seem to be heavily subsidized.

Thank you for all the ideas, I guess I am mostly venting, because the PRS-700 looks amazing, and I really wanted to justify the purchase to my husband, and a web based Connect store would have done it!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
... we are not getting a PC just for the Connect software.
You might just need a virtual PC on your Mac. Several MobileRead users have reported success in running the Sony ebook Library software using XP or Vista running under Parallels or Bootcamp. See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=mac

for example. (Beware of the reports of significant troubles trying to run any firmware updaters, though.)

Wish I could help more, but I don't have a Mac. Poke around with a search for Parallels or Bootcamp and you'll find a lot of information, warning, etc. And post a question if you get stuck - there's a lot of OSX expertise 'round here.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 10-31-2008 at 09:48 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I tend to read new non-fiction, and the prices on Sony's store seem to be heavily subsidized.
As so do I. I've had my eBook for almost a year now an I can tell you I've only ever purchased one book from the Sony Store, and I regret it at that. I've found that between fictionwise and BooksOnBoard (mainly BoB) I have a better selection than using the SONY store with competitive prices.

I know it's nice to have that option but really it is not necessary I can tell you from experience.

=X=
Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thank you for all the ideas, I guess I am mostly venting, because the PRS-700 looks amazing, and I really wanted to justify the purchase to my husband, and a web based Connect store would have done it!
I assume since you have a 505 and a Mac that you have been able to buy ebooks for it from the Not Sony ebook store, namely fictionwise or booksonboard? Those same books will work on the 700. However, the Kindle store prices are better than most. Also, you can buy the Kindle TODAY LAST DAY for $50 using the OPRAHWINFREY coupon code for $309 and have until Jan 31st to return it if you don't like it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Minda

Yup, you are correct. I had fished a working PC from storage when I bought the 505 last November, but it finally died shortly after the firmware upgrade. At that time I purchased directly from HarperCollins, because I was so excited that I didn't need to use the Connect software. Since then, I have become a little more price conscious. I held out for the October announcement, believing that it had to include Mac software.

I gave in to the OPRAHWINFREY code- I will give Parallels a try if I really hate the Kindle. I have tried CrossOver, btw, but that didn't let me get further than installing the Connect software- it was incapable of opening it.

I would love to email/write the correct big cheeses in Sony to tell them that I put aside money for whatever Sony had to offer for their October announcement, but was disappointed by the lack of OSX support. Should I start a Facebook group?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
I will give Parallels a try if I really hate the Kindle.
You might want to look at VMWare's Fusion as well - I think it's around the same price point as Parallels
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote