Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
NIRC
Enthusiast
NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
Embed fonts in mobi

When I submit a mobi file to Kindle, all the embedded fonts--which show up fine on my Kndle Fire--are stripped. Without them, my book is useless. Is there any way to get around this?
If I convert the book to azw3 in Calibre, it gets slightly smaller by condensing the fonts, but Kindle doesn't accept this format and I'm not sure they would do the stripping there, too.
This is most frustrating. EPUB makes it sooo simple. Why does Amazon make it impossible?
NIRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRC View Post
When I submit a mobi file to Kindle, all the embedded fonts--which show up fine on my Kndle Fire--are stripped. Without them, my book is useless. Is there any way to get around this?
If I convert the book to azw3 in Calibre, it gets slightly smaller by condensing the fonts, but Kindle doesn't accept this format and I'm not sure they would do the stripping there, too.
This is most frustrating. EPUB makes it sooo simple. Why does Amazon make it impossible?
Are you talking about books you have written or books you have bought?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #3
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRC View Post
You can convert book to AZW3 and embed font there. Kindle accepts AZW3 because it's native format of Amazon. I do such converting.
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a question about creating Kindle books, not about using the Kindle. Moved to the correct forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #5
NIRC
Enthusiast
NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I tried to submit an AZW3 to them I was told they do NOT accept it. I just tried again and indeed the AZW3 file was rejected. The guidelines read:
Supported Formats
Word (DOC / DOCX) HTML (ZIP, HTM, or HTML) MOBI (MOBI) ePub (EPUB) Rich Text Format (RTF) Plain Text (TXT) Adobe PDF (PDF) Kindle Package Format (KPF) Word (DOC / DOCX) Most DOC / DOCX files convert well to eBooks. ... For more details, see our HTML-specific Help topics: Basic HTML Formatting Guidelines Supported HTML Tags Custom HTML Tags Supported Images Paragraphs Tables MOBI (MOBI) MOBI (.prc) files created with the legacy program MobiPocket Creator are no longer supported. We can only support MOBI files created with Amazon tools such as KindleGen . ePub (EPUB) We support unzipped EPUB files.

So I have to ask, HOW did you succeed in getting embedded fonts to work, and were they still there when the book was downloaded from Amazon to a buyer?

Last edited by NIRC; 02-09-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #6
NIRC
Enthusiast

Sorry if I was unclear. I was talking about creating a Kindle book with my proprietary font enbedded.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You cannot submit a pure KF8 file to Amazon, but you can submit a "dual Mobi", containing both Mobi7 and KF8 versions of the book. Are you using Kindlegen to create your book? Do not submit Calibre-generated books to Amazon.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 AM   #8
NIRC
Enthusiast

KindleGen strips the embedded fonts, whether I do it by uploading a PDF and letting the Amazon page do the conversion or I do it by myself with KindleGen. THAT is my problem! However, the Calibre converter preserves (and compacts) the embedded fonts which is why I used it.
Surely there must be some workaround. In EPUB, one can open the files and tweak them, but Kindle files seem to be locked...

Last edited by NIRC; 02-09-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, when you say "Kindlegen strips the embedded fonts", what are you using as your input to Kindlegen?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Don't forget that embedded fonts are NOT supported in Mobipocket format, only in Kindle Format 8, aka KF8 aka AZW3. So if you're viewing the output of KindleGen on a device that only supports MOBI (e.g. Kindle 2) you'll only see the MOBI half with no fonts.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-09-2016 at 07:51 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
...Kindle Format 8, aka KF8 aka AZW8.
Minor correction: The .azw3 extension is KF8. (The .azw8 extension is KFX.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Minor correction: The .azw3 extension is KF8. (The .azw8 extension is KFX.)
Quite right, a slip of the keyboard. Now corrected - thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindlegen certainly doesn't strip your fonts.
Keep in mind that as stated above the fonts will only be present on the AZW3 component.

However, according to Hitch and others, fonts are a black magic when it comes to the KDP, since Amazon's upload channels do some post-processing and seem to randomly consume embedded font files for no adequately explained reason.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #14
NIRC
Enthusiast

Yes, yes. This is exactly the point. Until Amazon decides to accept the font-embedding function of their own formats and not mess itup when they DMR files, no amount of converting will fix the problem. Don't they get it? I mean, there are lots of books that need special characters. I have been trying every available workaround for the past 2 years and find the Amazon technical help of no help, and telephone calls to "supervisors" a dead end. No one seems to understand . . . and it is such a basic question.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There was a lengthy discussion about the matter here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3159320
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote