Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
[Sweden] New audiobook player coming to Elib

Just recieved a newsletter from Elib and they are completely revamping their streaming audiobook solutions from the 24th of October. New players with many more functions and better working solutions for tablets and mobiles. No more ancient flash players!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does "streaming" mean that it will only work if you have an Internet connection? That seems undesirable for an audiobook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does "streaming" mean that it will only work if you have an Internet connection? That seems undesirable for an audiobook.
Why? People constantly stream music so what is the problem. Remember that we have mobile coverage nearly everywhere.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking more of data usage. If you have a data allowance of 1GB/month you'd quickly use that up listening to an audiobook.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why? People constantly stream music so what is the problem. Remember that we have mobile coverage nearly everywhere.
I dislike streaming for audiobooks. There are too many places where it will cut out.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why does anyone need a new audio player that sounds proprietary?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
I was thinking more of data usage. If you have a data allowance of 1GB/month you'd quickly use that up listening to an audiobook.
People that listen to music likely have the same problem. In any case, just buy more data if you want the service. And audiobooks are streamed at a much lower bitrate anyway, so you'll more playtime for the same data amount compared to music.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
People that listen to music likely have the same problem. In any case, just buy more data if you want the service. And audiobooks are streamed at a much lower bitrate anyway, so you'll more playtime for the same data amount compared to music.
I guess it depends how you listen. Personally, I prefer to download audiobooks using my home broadband connection and then listen to them while I'm out and about on my phone, so downloading works better than streaming for me.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I guess it depends how you listen. Personally, I prefer to download audiobooks using my home broadband connection and then listen to them while I'm out and about on my phone, so downloading works better than streaming for me.
That's what I do also. I have a much bigger cap on my home broadband (300 G per month) than I have on my Cell phone (4 G per month) and I'm rarely near a wifi hotspot during the day.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's what I do also. I have a much bigger cap on my home broadband (300 G per month) than I have on my Cell phone (4 G per month) and I'm rarely near a wifi hotspot during the day.
I have no cap at all on my home broadband, but have a 1Gb allowance on mobile data, hence I download as much as I can at home. Normally I only use a small fraction of my 1G mobile data allowance; the only time I use a significant proportion of it is when I'm travelling and the places I'm staying at have either no WiFi, or (as is common in large chain hotels) very expensive WiFi.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elib is Swedens equivalent of Overdrive and the streaming service is how they lend out audiobooks.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If the Elib device has a large enough buffer, the audiobook should play smoothly. My other Swedish online buddies have good wifi bandwidth, so probably not a problem unless you are in a rural area with very limited bandwidth. If it's anything like Hughesnet, streaming is pretty much undoable.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
I dislike streaming for audiobooks. There are too many places where it will cut out.
Well, not in Sweden. There are very few places were mobile data is not working. When visiting other countries I notice how bad coverage can be so it kind of depend if it is a problem.

And what do you need for audio? 50 kbit/s? 3Mbit/min, 0.4MByte/min. Say 30 Mbyte per hour. 30 hours for 1Gbyte. And buffering will probably be done when you have wifi. And you can easily but 10Gbyte per month to a reasonable cost.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #14
owly
Guru

The streaming part works fairly well in Sweden. Elib has had this service for many years. I was a bit hasty about the No flash part though, for more http://www2.elib.se/elibs-blogg/arkiv/2752
Old 12-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
owly
Guru

The Android app is now working.