Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
AnnieWhere
AnnieWhere is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Paperwhite or Voyage?

hey guys
i am newbie here but wanna stay longterm i wanna buy a Kindle for the first time. I've read lots of reviews and everything about the paperwhite and the voyage. I've kind of made up my mind but I think you are the guys who really know about the two. So what you'd recommend to buy? the paperwhite or the voyage?

Thanks for your help
Annie
AnnieWhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Kindle questions in the Kindle forum, to where I'm now moving this thread.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... and the answer is that only you can decide.

Look at the extra features of the Voyage. Are they worth the extra cost to you personally? To me the extra cost of the Voyage is worth the extra money, but only you can decide whether or not they are worth it for you.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Last week, I saw some Paperwhites for $70 at Office Depot. Not sure which version.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A previous thread which may help...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264564
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was looking for a Kindle, I'd wait to find out if the rumors of new models coming out in November are true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite. I read on my Paperwhite for a couple of years before I got the Voyage and I thought it just couldn't get any better than that. Then on a whim I bought the Voyage.

I don't use the Voyage's new features. I leave the Page Press and the self adjusting light turned off. And yet I'm really glad I got the Voyage.

The difference to me is the size and weight. The Voyage is only 1 ounce lighter but the Voyage and it's cover weigh about half as much as the Paperwhite and it's cover. I have the lightest covers I could find for both. That difference alone was worth the price difference. It's just a lot easier to hold on to it during long reading sessions. Of course I'm an old guy and when I was younger I might have cared less about this. But I'm still fairly strong and it's not a matter of necessity. It's just a comfort issue.

And the Voyage is smaller. Even though I have fairly small hands I can almost get my fingers around the edges comfortably while reading. I say almost meaning I can but not with a solid grip. Still it's nice to be able to change to that reading position for a while. The more ways I can hold it the more comfortable it is.

Other than that they're really pretty much the same thing. I can't tell much difference in the screens. Actually when they're side by side the Paperwhite screen looks very slightly better. When actually reading they're the same to my eyes. I still use both and I still like both but the Voyage is my goto reader.

If you get the Paperwhite I doubt you'll ever regret it. If you can easily afford the extra money for the Voyage you won't be sorry about that either.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

For me personally, It's all about page turns. Give me just one physical button to turn pages on paperwhite and I'm not going anywhere else.

It's a bit crazy, but for me that's the difference and nothing else.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #9
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieWhere View Post
So what you'd recommend to buy? the paperwhite or the voyage?
It depends on whether you have pets. There's really only two main differences between them.

1.) The Paperwhite has a raised bezel, and the Voyage has no bezel (or rather, a bezel that's flush with the screen).

2.) The second difference is, the Voyage has page turn buttons on both sides for those who don't like tapping or swiping their screens. (invisible haptic buttons, not raised ones)

I would've been content with my Paperwhite forever if it weren't for one problem. I have 6 cats and I was constantly finding cat fur wedged under the bezel. Don't ask me how all the fur in the house seemed to end up on my Kindle, but it was a real pain in the butt, and a terrible distraction from reading.

Just the elimination of the bezel alone, and being FREED from the frustration of cat fur issues, was absolutely worth the extra $100 for me.

The haptic page turn buttons were definitely icing on the cake, because I hated swiping my screen for every page turn. However, that feature alone wouldn't have made me upgrade. But the both together really enhanced my reading experience.

That's really all that matters to me...my reading experience.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
Kennth
Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kennth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The usage is again subjective to individual. However considering the price and our personal experience, we prefer Paperwhite.
Kennth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Someone else, in a similar thread, mention what could be a huge benefit to some people.

People who have to use public transportation on cold winter mornings (or evenings) usually wear gloves, and only the Voyage's haptic page turn buttons lets you turn pages with gloves on. The Paperwhite's screen won't respond to gloved fingers.

I'm sure there are other reading situations besides public transportation that would require wearing gloves, as well. Being a passenger on a long ride in a vehicle whose heater isn't working...or even power outages in the home.

We had a winter storm two or three winters ago, causing a power outage that left us without heat for days. Without electricity, the TV, computer and WiFi were out, too, so my Kindle was the only way to pass the time.

Unfortunately, that was before I had my Voyage, so I had to remove one glove, just so I could turn pages on my Paperwhite. I just kept tucking that hand under my throw blanket, but having a Voyage would've made that an easier experience.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Someone else, in a similar thread, mention what could be a huge benefit to some people.

People who have to use public transportation on cold winter mornings (or evenings) usually wear gloves, and only the Voyage's haptic page turn buttons lets you turn pages with gloves on. The Paperwhite's screen won't respond to gloved fingers.

I'm sure there are other reading situations besides public transportation that would require wearing gloves, as well. Being a passenger on a long ride in a vehicle whose heater isn't working...or even power outages in the home.

We had a winter storm two or three winters ago, causing a power outage that left us without heat for days. Without electricity, the TV, computer and WiFi were out, too, so my Kindle was the only way to pass the time.

Unfortunately, that was before I had my Voyage, so I had to remove one glove, just so I could turn pages on my Paperwhite. I just kept tucking that hand under my throw blanket, but having a Voyage would've made that an easier experience.
Funny, my sister mentioned the same thing to me yesterday. She has a Paperwhite, I have a Voyage, she told me she wished she had page turn buttons because her hands get cold on chilly days since she can't wear gloves when reading outside. She has gloves with the fingers exposed just for reading on the Paperwhite and she's not a fan of it.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Funny, my sister mentioned the same thing to me yesterday. She has a Paperwhite, I have a Voyage, she told me she wished she had page turn buttons because her hands get cold on chilly days since she can't wear gloves when reading outside. She has gloves with the fingers exposed just for reading on the Paperwhite and she's not a fan of it.
Get her some touch screen gloves.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Get her some touch screen gloves.
Will they work with Kindle paperwhite? I had thought that the touch screen technology was different between phones/tablets and e-readers. I know these gloves work with phones and tablets, does it also work on the Kindles?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Will they work with Kindle paperwhite? I had thought that the touch screen technology was different between phones/tablets and e-readers. I know these gloves work with phones and tablets, does it also work on the Kindles?
Yes, it's a capacitive touchscreen, which is the same as that used by most phones and tablets.