Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Ebooks Downloading as text file, no help from Amazon

Has anyone else had this problem? And maybe find a solution to it?

The wi-fi on my kindle is broken, so I've been side loading my books. I've had a few books recently that would not download to my computer as as .azw, but instead stubbornly download as a text file. I've tried to get help from amazon customer service numerous times, but they always tell me some nonsense like if I put the text file on my kindle it will open (it does not), or to turn on my wifi and download it (I can't) or after a few minutes of back and forth, they suddenly are not able to access my account. I've been reading the books this has happened with on my iPad, but it is very annoying and it making me reconsider ever buying another kindle.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How are you downloading the books to your computer?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What are you clicking/tapping/checking Under the deliver to:
Your choices will be
Any kindles you have registered
Any tablets you have registered
Kindle for PC if you have one

Transfer via computer

If you want to sideload without converting you need to choose transfer via computer, then on the next screen select the final device.

Hope this helps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a relatively common problem for a binary file to be displayed as text on a PC. The solution is, rather than clicking on the download link, instead right click, and select "Save Link As..." (or "Save Target As...", depending on your browser) and save the file that way.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:31 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
This has been a known problem with Amazon and a specific web browser for a very very long time. I forget what web browser exactly that causes the issue, (Safari or chrome?)... but whichever you normally use, try another one and download the e-book again. it should work.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Some feedback from the OP as to whether or not the suggested remedies worked would be nice.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Not the OP, but throwing in my discoveries.

On a Mac (OS X 10.11.6) with current Safari (9.1.2), the files download as text files with no suffix. There is no "right click to download" option, as Amazon forces me to go through click buttons.

Switching to the current version of Chrome (52.0) on Mac gives me a file with the suffix azw3 which goes nicely into Calibre and then to the Kindle.

Since the file sizes from both methods are identical, I assume you could manually put the azw3 suffix on the file and it would work just fine, but I did not test that.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
What about when you view the book on your "contents and devices" page, and then select "download and transfer via USB"? This should give a more correct AZW book than a right click option. This is what Cinisajoy is talking about.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
What about when you view the book on your "contents and devices" page, and then select "download and transfer via USB"? This should give a more correct AZW book than a right click option. This is what Cinisajoy is talking about.
That is exactly where I was working as well. For my setup as described above, I receive a text file with no suffix.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This has been a known problem with Amazon and a specific web browser for a very very long time. I forget what web browser exactly that causes the issue, (Safari or chrome?)... but whichever you normally use, try another one and download the e-book again. it should work.
It's a Safari problem on the Mac. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=418
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
It's a Safari problem on the Mac ...
Fortunately, it doesn't happen all the time. Safari is my primary browser, and it usually works. But every now and then I get the weird file, and then I switch browsers or use the Kindle for Mac app.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Does simply renaming the "weird file" not work?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Haven't tried renaming. I'll try it the next time I get a weird file (which is not often).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote