Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Watchdog talks about Amazon closing accounts

The UK program Watchdog is doing a segment on Amazon closing accounts for one too many returns. This will be run on October 29, 2015 at 8:00pm (UK time) in the UK on BBC One. Should be interesting to find out what Amazon has to say.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-22-2015 at 04:20 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why should Amazon say anything? Too many returns (the case I know of was not for ebook returns) is a perfectly valid reason for an online company to close an account, IMO.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Most companies will close your account if you return things constantly. Jewelry stores get people who will buy jewelry on credit to wear to a party and then return it the next day. The same goes for the clothing business. I know one woman who bought a Tanzanite colored dress to wear the 24K club gala one year. The dress cost over $20,000.00 and she attempted to return it the next day. She had been doing this for years. That time the company finally said no.
If I get someone who constantly returns merchandise I will let tell them that obviously they are unable to find anything that pleases them in my store and I suggest that from now on they shop else where.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Watchdog is a long running UK consumer rights tv program which has a good track record for publicizing abuses by commercial companies, although on occasions it has got things wrong.

Yes abusing a company's returns policy is wrong but so is a company wrongly accusing individuals of abusing the returns policy.

I do not know the rights and wrongs of the situation so suggest that people watch the program first before defending Amazon by castigating by implication the people who have had their accounts closed.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 10-22-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Corrected minor errors
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In my opinion it would be counterproductive for a company to wrongly accuse individuals of abusing their returns policy unless it is done in error.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Personally I think Amazon has the right to stop selling to a person. But they should not have the right to close an account as that means denying a person valid access to their purchases specially in the case of ebooks. They should just block the account from being able to purchase anything else.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 AM   #7
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Personally I think Amazon has the right to stop selling to a person. But they should not have the right to close an account as that means denying a person valid access to their purchases specially in the case of ebooks. They should just block the account from being able to purchase anything else.
Yes, exactly that. I hope the show didn't get sidetracked onto abuses of the returns policy or whether or not Amazon should suspend anyone's buying privileges.

What I'd like to know is --

How long will people with closed accounts have access to their digital media, including apps, audiobooks, and instant videos (with streaming ability), as well as ebooks?

What are the restrictions on registering new devices and apps (because current devices can wear out)?

Why aren't the answers to these questions posted on the Amazon webisites, along with their completely one-sided TOS?
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Deleted as I am getting angry again

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-23-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-23-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 AM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
This response isn't directed at you, Josieb1, because I haven't been around here for a while so I don't know what your situation is .

I've been reading in other forums comments about this same topic, and I am amazed at the amount of returns some people make. It seems like many of them have done no due diligence before they make a purchase online.

Returning an item because it doesn't fit or because it is defective is one thing, but returning a book for example because you didn't like the story? It seems like those folks who are getting the letters are running a 40-60% return rate, so they aren't the "average" customer, and Amazon probably has a right to eye them askance.

I know someone who orders all her kid's clothes online; she never takes the kid into a store to try on clothes because she is a germophobe. So consequently she orders multiple sizes of the same item and retuns the ones that don't fit. She does this with everything to do with clothing. Even though she's buying stuff, she's still costing the companies for processing multiple returns on each purchase. She's already gotten notifications from some companies that either won't allow returns anymore or that have drastically shortened her return window.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-23-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:03 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Spot on. Its not like they close accounts of people without reason, and they send out warning letters beforehand too. But they should be able to suspend accounts so people can't buy anything but still retain access to their digital content, and not close them.

Watchdog is a long running programme, but as well as getting things wrong occasionally, I've watched with interest when they have focused on certain issues, and been very disappointed with how they just seemed to have skimmed over the surface and haven't unearthed anything of note.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I only hope they (Watchdog) lend as much credence to the anecdotal evidence from the people who say they've retained access to their digital content (after being blocked by Amazon from buying new physical items), as they do to the anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer