Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #1
mihail_bc
Enthusiast
mihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Aura HD affected by moisture/humidity, HELP!

Hello to everyone,

because of the buggy and wierdy Kobo website, I am asking here for help, please bare with me.

I have recently bought an AuraHD reader, and last night I left it in my car. This morning I brought it in the house and without thinking to much I opened it.

Due to the temperature difference, there was a bit of humidity and now the screen loks like it was smuged, and doesnt refresh. Also when I plug it on the laptop it doesnt detect it.

Anyway to troubleshoot this one out?

I'm mentioning that I am from Romania and the ereader was bought from US. There is no Kobo store/service in Romania, therefore I dont know where to adress.

Do you think the guys that handle gsm telphones service can work this out for me?

thanks, I'd really appreciate your advice.
mihail_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can you post a photo of the screen? What temperature did it get down/up to overnight, was your car outside or undercover? What do you mean by "opened it" - opened the case, or simply tried to start the device? Do the LED lights change when you plug it in (ignoring what's happening on the screen)?

(I'm guessing this one's dead, but you should try the usual full charge, reset protocol. Warranty service would not apply when the device is misused anyway, and leaving it in a car overnight is misuse.) [eta - whoa, I just looked up your weather and it's pretty stinking hot there at the moment!]

Last edited by meeera; 08-12-2015 at 04:13 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
mihail_bc
Enthusiast
mihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy bluemihail_bc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I opened from the button, led is opening, there is a small flickering on the bottom of the screen...

the difference wasnt high, but there was some moisture on the screen... dont really care about guarantee since I dont have any store here, so I am willing to pay, just dont know if its possible..

i am trying to take a picture with my mobile, it seems not to work... Here it is morning, noon but the action took place in the morning so not much temperature difference
Old 08-12-2015, 04:36 AM   #4
mihail_bc
Enthusiast

here is the screen..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboscreen.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	140961  
Old 08-12-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The issue with temperature differences and actually opening the case, is the possibility of condensation forming on the electronics. If you could put it in a moisture absorbing environment, you might be able to dry it out. If you are very lucky it might not already be damaged beyond recovery.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #6
mihail_bc
Enthusiast

I dont think it was much exposed entierly to the humidity.

only the screen had plenty of it...

cant it be changed? must i throw it out completely?

I mean how do these screen work since they are so sensible...
Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The screen of the Aura HD is broken. The glass substrate has broken. It's due to the extreme temperature in the car or going from the car to the house.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The issue with temperature differences and actually opening the case, is the possibility of condensation forming on the electronics. If you could put it in a moisture absorbing environment, you might be able to dry it out. If you are very lucky it might not already be damaged beyond recovery.

Luck;
Ken
Drying out the HD won't matter since the screen is broken.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:07 AM   #9
mihail_bc
Enthusiast

cant i change the screen? what can it be done in such a case?

thanks
Old 08-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihail_bc View Post
cant i change the screen? what can it be done in such a case?

thanks
You would have to buy an HD that's for sale for parts that has a working screen in order to have a screen to replace. I would look on eBay to see if such is available.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:10 AM   #11
mihail_bc
Enthusiast

cant i get one from Kobo? dont they sell?

cant i connect another screen? like from another brand?

thanks
Old 08-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The screen of the Aura HD is broken. The glass substrate has broken. It's due to the extreme temperature in the car or going from the car to the house.
Or it was twisted or bent or dropped or impacted, who knows. It's well and truly smashed either way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:16 AM   #13
mihail_bc
Enthusiast

wasnt smashed at all... screen is intact.. its just the ink or the circuit underneath...
Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
cant i get one from Kobo? dont they sell?

cant i connect another screen? like from another brand?

thanks
You would need to find a 6.8" eInk Pearl screen. Not easy.

Kobo does not sell parts to fix broken devices. No company that sells readers sells parts. You could buy an H2O to replace the HD. But no leaving your next Reader in the car. When you go someplace, always take the Reader out of the car.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
wasnt smashed at all...
The heat in the car most likely caused the problem.