Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Deleted books still on CC

Using Calibre and "Remove matching books from device" I deleted a lot of books from CC on my tablet. It appeared to work. Most of them were removed. But not all were removed. Many still appear on CC. When I connect CC (as wireless) the On Device column in Calibre does not show them as being on the device, but when I look on my tablet in CC they are still there. I know I can delete them one at a time from the tablet, but wondered what could have caused this. I ran the Books with missing files on CC, but there were none. I restarted the tablet just in case, but they are still there.
peaceridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Using Calibre and "Remove matching books from device" I deleted a lot of books from CC on my tablet. It appeared to work. Most of them were removed. But not all were removed. Many still appear on CC. When I connect CC (as wireless) the On Device column in Calibre does not show them as being on the device, but when I look on my tablet in CC they are still there. I know I can delete them one at a time from the tablet, but wondered what could have caused this. I ran the Books with missing files on CC, but there were none. I restarted the tablet just in case, but they are still there.
Probably they are files that were left in CC's folder after a reinstall/clear data or were added to the folder outside of CC.

Also, my guess is that the CC option "Scan on connect" (Settings / Wireless Device Connection) is not set. If it is not set then CC ignores any book files it doesn't know about. If it is set then CC will attempt to process the books when you connect as a wireless device, adding them to CC's database and sending the information/book to calibre for matching, making it possible to delete the books from calibre's device view.

In addition to scanning for new files, another way to find all the extra books is to change the folder that CC uses for the books. Using CC's Settings / Formats and folders, change the location of the appropriate item (default or some extension). That will move the books that CC knows about, leaving behind any that are not in its database.

Books with missing files checks for the opposite situation where CC thinks it has a book but the format file is missing.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you switch to Device view (while connected)?

sort on In Library
Do some books appear that have no tick?

Possible reasons:
Sending by USB
changing how CC named files (mid stream)
Sent from different systems
Direct download from store
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Also, my guess is that the CC option "Scan on connect" (Settings / Wireless Device Connection) is not set.

[I thought that would add all the books in Calibre that were not in CC; so I'm mistaken? Obviously I don't want all my Calibre books on CC since I was deleting them]

If it is not set then CC ignores any book files it doesn't know about. If it is set then CC will attempt to process the books when you connect as a wireless device, adding them to CC's database and sending the information/book to calibre for matching, making it possible to delete the books from calibre's device view.

[I want to keep them on Calibre, just not on CC. New tablet coming for just Non-Fiction books - only want Fiction (Library) on this tablet]

In addition to scanning for new files, another way to find all the extra books is to change the folder that CC uses for the books. Using CC's Settings / Formats and folders, change the location of the appropriate item (default or some extension). That will move the books that CC knows about, leaving behind any that are not in its database.

[I'll give that a try next]

Books with missing files checks for the opposite situation where CC thinks it has a book but the format file is missing.
Hope I'm explaining above what I'm trying to do.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you switch to Device view (while connected)?

sort on In Library
Do some books appear that have no tick?

Possible reasons:
Sending by USB
changing how CC named files (mid stream)
Sent from different systems
Direct download from store
Thanks for your suggestions. None of the books have a tick (not even the 2 I planned to leave on CC) yet they are still on CC (and those two do show up in Main in Calibre). BTW, I never side load by USB or download books directly to my tablet from somewhere else. Always load through CC as Wireless device. As far as I know I haven't renamed any files (possibly one of my ereader apps did). Also, I only have one computer, so the different systems seems not to apply.

Guess I'll have to try Chaley's suggestion of moving the library.
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No tick says they ARE on CC, but do not match up with the Library (copy).
a Duplicate that was deleted from Library?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Now that is very possible! So my recourse is to delete them off cc one at a time and be more careful in the future?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
That happens when book matching fails. Usually that happens when the metadata in the book does not match the metadata in calibre, often because people use plugboards to change the metadata but sometimes because the format doesn't contain enough metadata to match anything (think txt and some pdfs).
Quote:
Now that is very possible! So my recourse is to delete them off cc one at a time and be more careful in the future?
Regarding the one-at-a-time: the "change folder location" suggestion should avoid that, assuming that any book file left behind because it isn't in CC's database is no longer of interest.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
In device view.
Select a bunch (not all, that IS ALL), delete

Of coarse, this assumes all those without ticks, are not wanted
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks for everyone's help. My library and cc are now back the way I want them!