Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Fire Tablet FireOS 4.5.5

My Fire HD7 (2013) updated a couple of days ago.

'includes general improvements and performance enhancements'.

Again I wonder if this patches the Stagefright issue. It may be that Amazon doesn't want to claim it does, in case there is more to do (more details will be coming out this week at Black Hat / DEF CON).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:10 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Again I wonder if this patches the Stagefright issue. It may be that Amazon doesn't want to claim it does, in case there is more to do (more details will be coming out this week at Black Hat / DEF CON).
I love how the learn more page comes up as a dead link
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I love how the learn more page comes up as a dead link
I did get to a learn more page with my Fire tablet, but not on Fire Phone. But the sole content there was as I quoted it.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:56 AM   #4
Vid.
Vid. began at the beginning.

Device: KFSOWI
Quote:

Zimperium has released a tool to check for the stagefright vulnerabilities, but it is only on the Google Play store. However, it will run if you sideload it on your Kindle Fire. Here's the link to the app in the Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...frightdetector

If you want to know if FireOS 4.5.5 has the patches for libstagefright, you could download the .apk file from Evozi:

https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloade...frightdetector
Vid. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid. View Post
Zimperium has released a tool to check for the stagefright vulnerabilities, but it is only on the Google Play store. However, it will run if you sideload it on your Kindle Fire. Here's the link to the app in the Play store:

If you want to know if FireOS 4.5.5 has the patches for libstagefright, you could download the .apk file from Evozi:

Yes, I'm planning to get from Google Play, and try it out on everything.
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Vid.
Vid. began at the beginning.

Device: KFSOWI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid. View Post

FYI, FireOS 4.5.5 does have the patches for libstagefright. The Zimperium Stagefright Detector reported three vulnerabilities before the upgrade on my Kindle Fire HD 'Soho' (KFSOWI), and none after. It is good to know that Amazon continues to support the 3rd generation Kindle Fire tablets.
Vid. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Tested my Fire Phone and Fire HD (2013). Both are 'Not Vulnerable'. My Fire HD6 is currently somewhat crippled with the Lollipop beta; I expect it is probably 'Vulnerable', but it is of no consequence.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Tested my Fire Phone and Fire HD (2013). Both are 'Not Vulnerable'. My Fire HD6 is currently somewhat crippled with the Lollipop beta; I expect it is probably 'Vulnerable', but it is of no consequence.
Laughing at myself....I was wondering why I didn't get the update, then I remembered my HD6 is on 5.0 beta. Duh! I wonder when they will make it available to all?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I doubt they will bother patching the beta, the sole purpose of which is to allow app developers to test their apps on Fire hardware with Lollipop on it. The official Fire OS update based on Lollipop will have whatever patches there are by then.

I am probably going to restore my HD6 to the shipping Fire OS so everything works again.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am probably going to restore my HD6 to the shipping Fire OS so everything works again.
Does that require a factory reset?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

My HD6 just spontaneously rebooted and spent several minutes"upgrading", but it's still on 5.0. The keyboard I am typing on (in chrome) seems bigger.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Does that require a factory reset?
You need to request rollback at developer.amazon.com. It includes factory reset.