Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-29-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
</p> at beginning of paragraph - how do I change?

Greetings,

I have a file I'm using as a test bed to learn regex. It is a badly converted PDF to epub. The original file had the actual body of the text under the misc folder within the epub.

I didn't know how to fix that so I converted to html, then back to epub. That seems to have fixed the problem of the text body now being where it should be.

However...the code for the paragraphs is...

Code:
<p class="calibre2"></p>The paragraph goes in here.
As you can see the "</p>" is at the beginning and not at the end. Is there an easy way to change this? There must be a regex I can use to "find/replace" it?

I have learned a lot about how to tweak things using regex on this file, but this is somewhat beyond me.

Appreciate the assistance.

Update: I found out I could use .* and some variations to achieve a result. Got all the end tags where they belong now.

Last edited by Chris_Snow; 06-29-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:24 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
The experts will certainly have more interesting solutions, but I just tested this and it works:

Search:
Code:
</p>(.*?)
<(.*?)>
Replace with:
Code:
\1</p> <\2>
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 AM   #3
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Code:
<p class="calibre2"></p>The paragraph goes in here.
As you can see the "</p>" is at the beginning and not at the end. Is there an easy way to change this? There must be a regex I can use to "find/replace" it?
For this particular problem there's a regex for sure. But i guess this example does not cover all problems. There might be sentences not ending with a full stop, but with question marks, exclamation marks, parenthesis etc etc.

My approach would be to delete all </p> and let tiny do the rest.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
Neat! I was going to replace <p class="calibre2"></p> with </p><p>
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I assume you're referring to Tiny, the helpful Sigil gnome?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I assume you're referring to Tiny, the helpful Sigil gnome?
Tiny, the Sigil gnome also known as tidy
Old 06-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't claim to be great at regular expressions, but I think this should work, and preserve any class/style attributes in the paragraph:

Find:
Code:
(<p[^>]+>)<\/p>(.*)
Replace:
Code:
\1\2</p>
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
rubeus
Banned

I would use * instead of + to catch tags without attributes.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point. I admit I didn't have time to test it much.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Thx very muchly for all the pointers. You are right, in that my small regex didn't pick up all the paragraph instances (endings with question marks etc) - but surprisingly there were very few and I figured how to mod the regex to pick up a question mark. I seem to be able to sort out small changes but have a lot of trouble trying to get one regex to pick up everything

I'll trial the regexes here and see what the results are. Thx again.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Will sigil automagically fix things in this instance? There are lots of times there is no undo in sigil, so I worry about stuffing things up. Usually I have to close the prog. without saving (that's if I haven't saved it without thinking!!)

Update: Yep...found that it does (well at least in small doses)

Last edited by Chris_Snow; 06-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:55 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I don't claim to be great at regular expressions, but I think this should work, and preserve any class/style attributes in the paragraph:

Find:
Code:
(<p[^>]+>)<\/p>(.*)
Replace:
Code:
\1\2</p>
I would explicitly leave out paragraph tags in the text body, as such:

Code:
(<p(?: [^>]+)?>)</p>((?:(?!</?p>).)+)
Using the power of negative lookarounds.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Will sigil automagically fix things in this instance? There are lots of times there is no undo in sigil, so I worry about stuffing things up. Usually I have to close the prog. without saving (that's if I haven't saved it without thinking!!)

Update: Yep...found that it does (well at least in small doses)
Big-time experts say, "make copy of file first, before committing Regexus Non-Interruptus."

Just sayin'! All these years, and Regex Buddy is still my closest, well...buddy.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Big-time experts say, "make copy of file first, before committing Regexus Non-Interruptus."

Hitch
Small fry users say same thing

oops is a 4 letter word
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Extremely good advice. I've never used RegexBuddy, but I do use the online tester at https://regex101.com/