Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Glo HD has an internal microSD card slot

I just had a fortunate accident with my Kobo Glo HD review unit.

I dropped it and the back popped off. I'll post photos tomorrow (about 9 hours from now), but for now I thought everyone would want to learn that there is an internal card slot.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Okay this will be an amazing find. Did you try it with a SD Card yet?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Okay this will be an amazing find. Did you try it with a SD Card yet?
The slot is occupied by the 4GB internal storage.

I won't try to mess with it until after I finish my review - which should be posted Saturday.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The slot is occupied by the 4GB internal storage.

I won't try to mess with it until after I finish my review - which should be posted Saturday.
Please take detailed photos of both sides of the case with emphasis on latches. With a ruler in the background so we can infer distances. This would enable us to open the device without leaving marks on the device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Video and pictures, including opening the device...
http://mobile.hdblog.it/2015/04/22/r...e-kobo-glo-hd/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
If it's that easy to take the back off, I can see a lot of complaints from people forthcoming.

I might be tempted to put a bigger card in mine....
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I just had a fortunate accident with my Kobo Glo HD review unit.

I dropped it and the back popped off. I'll post photos tomorrow (about 9 hours from now), but for now I thought everyone would want to learn that there is an internal card slot.
How incredibly convenient. Well done!
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please take detailed photos of both sides of the case with emphasis on latches. With a ruler in the background so we can infer distances. This would enable us to open the device without leaving marks on the device.
A helpful soul put the cover back on before I could stop them, alas.

Your best bet for prying the back off would be two spots right over the power button and the USB port. Those are the only two places where the rear shell is thinnest.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Drop it again. And then drop some keys on it
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Drop it again. And then drop some keys on it
It already passed the keys test (v3, overhand with a twist).
Old 04-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Video and pictures, including opening the device...
http://mobile.hdblog.it/2015/04/22/r...e-kobo-glo-hd/
I thought it there would an extra slot for another SD card, looks like that is not the case.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
I just cannot believe that Kobo took away the external expansion slot. Who in the world decided that? Can anyone fill me in on the logic of that?
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
It wasn't working stable. Every manga and novel I keep there was getting reprocessed each time I reboot my device. But I still kept using it for manga; until I changed the internal SD card last week, that is.

I don't know if this is a common problem but I have encountered many different problems about it in the forums.

Therefore it is a good business decision. Those who really need SD cards are usually manga readers and big library users who wants offline access 1000s of books (I use COPS on my VPS for access, wifi is everywhere), and we can change the internal card. But the people who inserted a sd card just because they can are in clear majority, and they kept encountering problems. Which is bad. These are problems caused by a process they don't really need. Clearly that process must go.

I understand why they took the feature off, I am even okay with it now that I know I can change the internal card. This would makes things better for Kobo, therefore better for us Kobo users.

Last edited by GERGE; 04-24-2015 at 05:34 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
So Kobo has finally caught up to Amazon on that front.

Where's JSWolf when you need him, I wonder?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
So Kobo has finally caught up to Amazon on that front.
Only sort of. There is still an internal SD card for those who have the skills to work with partitions and filesystems, or can follow instructions created by someone else. Because of this, it gives Kobo users the ability to expand the non-volatile memory or to recover their bricked device.

Yeah, it's very user hostile. That's particularly true for people who want to store large libraries on their Kobo. On the other hand, it is useful for those of us who are buying a Kobo reader because it is a (relatively) open device.