Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Problem with KSM and/or Koreader -> Nickel full freeze

Hi everyone,

I've been messing around with the great enhancements the Kobos have to offer (or make possible) and I've noticed one problem:
When closing Koreader and returning to Nickel, Nickel freezes and I have to soft reset the H2O (user settings like sleep cover and Pocket account are reset, my „export highlights“ entry is overwritten). I have tried to narrow this down and I think there are a couple of options:
- either Koreader does not shut down completely and subsequently messes with Nickel (some memory issue perhaps?)
- the „Save document“ option in Koreader does something to the PDF file that Nickel doesn't like (but my PDFs are in a hidden folder and not in the Nickel library now because I thought that might have been the problem)
- both of the above at the same time...
Resetting the device in KSM after exiting Koreader prevents Nickel from freezing (as far as I can tell) so I guess it’s something to do with Koreader not shutting down completely.
I'm running the latest Koreader nightly (18th of March) on KSM 007 (updates 1 and 2 applied) and firmware 1.13.1.
Do you folks have any ideas on that?

Last edited by johnnyb; 04-13-2015 at 01:40 PM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Nickel uses a database for settings. If your PDFs are behind a hidden folder, and no entry exists in the nickel database, for that PDF, nothing Koreader does to that PDF should have any effect on Nickel. By "When closing Koreader and returning to Nickel" do you mean that you don't return to KSM when you close Koreader, but are returning directly to Nickel? Are you using KSM's options to set that up so you can switch between then directly?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Nickel uses a database for settings. If your PDFs are behind a hidden folder, and no entry exists in the nickel database, for that PDF, nothing Koreader does to that PDF should have any effect on Nickel.
You're confirming my suspicions (which is why I started putting my PDFs in a hidden folder after having reset my device)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
By "When closing Koreader and returning to Nickel" do you mean that you don't return to KSM when you close Koreader, but are returning directly to Nickel? Are you using KSM's options to set that up so you can switch between then directly?
I don't switch between them directly, didn't even know this was possible... I return to KSM via the Home/house button in Koreader, then start Nickel. If I do a device reset beforehand everything is fine. If I don't, Nickel freezes after a short while.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

If there are any possible crash reports to be salvaged, I'm happy to reproduce the error and provide them...
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The next release (after v2014.11-171) should have the fixes in for a freezing issue within Koreader, while I don't see how it could cause the issue you describe, it addresses the only freezing issues I found related to Koreader, in a quick look at Github. Perhaps someone who is using Nickel could tell us where it puts its crash/error logs.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Perhaps that helps. I'm not sure my issue is solely related to Nickel (because that is stable when launched from KSM), I think it's more to do with either Koreader not shutting down properly, Koreader doing something to files that mess with Nickel or KSM preventing Koreader from shutting down correctly.
I might add that this particular freeze occurs with Koreader in .kobo as well as in .adds...
Old 04-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think it will help. Is switching between KSM and Nickel, back and forth, maybe also to other apps, work fine otherwise?

When Koreader quits, it - well - quits. I can't think of anything it would change that.

When we're talking about Nickel freezing - is it really frozen or does it just not react to touch input? I.e., does it go to sleep after sleep timeout, or react to the power switch?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Perhaps that helps. I'm not sure my issue is solely related to Nickel (because that is stable when launched from KSM), I think it's more to do with either Koreader not shutting down properly, Koreader doing something to files that mess with Nickel or KSM preventing Koreader from shutting down correctly.
I might add that this particular freeze occurs with Koreader in .kobo as well as in .adds...
If you launched Koreader from KSM and after you poke the "Home" icon Koreader quits and control is passed back to KSM (you can do things in KSM), then Koreader should be shut down.

In the interest of clarity, it would be best to have only one instance of Koreader, with KSM7 that would be in .adds. (I know KSM can select from several instances of Koreader, but I would only have the one while you try to figure this out.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Yep it's only in one folder at a time, I was just saying that this doesnt make a difference...