Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle & Android
More fun with Word docx files

I've been updating a file that I create in word and send to guests in pdf format. Last year I added a mobi format due to the astounding Calibre.

This year I'm adding an epub, but it's looking a bit odd.

Here's the original file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68...ew?usp=sharing

And here's the mobi, which I think is pretty good:

But there's the slightly sad looking epub:

I think it's the docx headers that are causing the problem. There's our logo in there and that seemes to be cropping up extra large all over the shop.

Here's the conversion log:

Any advice most appreciated.

Last edited by PeterT; 04-09-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Expanding links....
simonzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzed View Post
I've been updating a file that I create in word and send to guests in pdf format. Last year I added a mobi format due to the astounding Calibre.

This year I'm adding an epub, but it's looking a bit odd... I think it's the docx headers that are causing the problem. There's our logo in there and that seemes to be cropping up extra large all over the shop.

@simonzed - I can't help with the problem - I think you're right though, its the images in the headers. I never do that, didn't know one could . . . iconoclast here Couldn't see anything obvious in settings, Kovid might have some suggestions.

On a whim, I converted your Mobi to Epub, to me it looks better - its attached.

I (and I suspect others) would prefer that you'd bundled the three files into a zip and posted them here via Manage Attachments rather than repeatedly throwing me into the Google pot, which tries to coerce me into downloading 3rd party software.

And the log can be posted directly - you can hide it by selecting it and clicking the red-crossed eye in the tool bar. You need to use the Advanced mode to get at both, the Manage Attachments button is below the Submit and Preview buttons.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Big Book - Podere Patrignone - ex mobi.epub (1.16 MB, 187 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-09-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Remove links - in case OP chnages them
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Do note that it is against the forum guidelines to post shortened urls, and I expect as soon as a moderator notices they will be deleted -- unless they get fixed first.
Links to the actual file share are permissible (even if some would prefer they be attached).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzed View Post

This year I'm adding an epub, but it's looking a bit odd.

Here's the original file:

And here's the mobi, which I think is pretty good:

But there's the slightly sad looking epub:

I think it's the docx headers that are causing the problem. There's our logo in there and that seemes to be cropping up extra large all over the shop.

Here's the conversion log:

Try this one.
Your image3.png file was 523px by 444px, I reduced it to 18 by 15.

berne
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Big Book.epub (1.51 MB, 222 views)

Last edited by PeterT; 04-09-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Expanding links...
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Moderator Notice
Please don't point shortened links; see Posting Guidelines
Quote:
8. Links, Uploads, Copyright and DRM

Links to sites that violate copyright are forbidden and will be deleted. URL shortening services may not be used.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The extra large images are caused by using a custom image for the bullet points. MOBI does not support that, epub does. Either resize that image to a more appropriate size in the word file itself, or do it in the epub after conversion using the calibre epub editor.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:07 AM   #7
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle & Android
Thank you...and apologies...

Apologies for all the forum etiquette gaffes. Glad no one got too upset. Lessons learned, possibly (I am at that age when I'm forgetting more than I learn, and I fear this is a one-way street).

Those cute little bullet points are an unnecessary affectation, and have been disappeared, and will never be seen again. Thanks for pointing them out Kivid. And BetterRed's suggestion to convert the mobi to epub was so simple it borders on genius. Why didn't I think of that? (See above) Thanks, and thanks to all those who provided help.

Subject closed.

Spoiler:
I did not know you could do this. Crazy.
simonzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docx input, epub creation, word document