Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
OS reinstall: What to secure for calibre and how?

My OS (Xubuntu) gets reinstalled from scratch. What should I consider in relation to my customized settings of calibre.

First of all I backed up my whole library. That includes that metadata_db_prefs_backup.json text document where e.g. I can find my CCs again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	custom columns.png
Views:	257
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	136926
CC trans (Translater) is highlighted.

Each book gots (as you know) his own metadata.opf file. I show the content of Die Kinder des Zorns (GE) - Jeppe Aakjaer.epub

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">10642</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="uuid" id="uuid_id">02ae0cca-c4e8-4bb2-a737-8c24eee69aeb</dc:identifier>
<dc:title>Die Kinder des Zorns (GE)</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:file-as="AAKJÆR, JEPPE" opf:role="aut">Jeppe Aakjær</dc:creator>
<dc:contributor opf:file-as="calibre" opf:role="bkp">calibre (2.22.0) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
<dc:date>0101-01-01T00:00:00+00:00</dc:date>
<dc:description>
<a href="http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppe_Aakj%C3%A6r">Jeppe Aakjær</a>
</dc:description>
<dcublisher>ngiyaw eBooks</dcublisher>
<dc:language>deu</dc:language>
<dc:subject>Roman</dc:subject>
<meta content="{"Jeppe Aakjær": ""}" name="calibre:author_link_map"/>
<meta content="#" name="calibre:series"/>
<meta content="1" name="calibre:series_index"/>
<meta content="0101-01-01T00:00:00+00:00" name="calibre:timestamp"/>
<meta content="Kinder des Zorns (GE), Die" name="calibre:title_sort"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#real_pseudo_cst_cn_c" content="{"display": {"description": "", "is_names": true}, "label": "real_pseudo_cst_cn_c", "#value#": ["Jeppe Jensen"], "table": "custom_column_16", "is_category": true, "is_custom": true, "rec_index": 26, "kind": "field", "name": "Real/Ps", "datatype": "text", "#extra#": null, "column": "value", "link_column": "value", "category_sort": "value", "search_terms": ["#real_pseudo_cst_cn_c"], "is_editable": true, "is_multiple2": {"cache_to_list": "|", "ui_to_list": "&", "list_to_ui": " & "}, "colnum": 16, "is_csp": false, "is_multiple": "|"}"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#origtitle_year_t_sc_c" content="{"display": {"description": "Originaltitel (Erscheinungsjahr)", "use_decorations": 2}, "label": "origtitle_year_t_sc_c", "#value#": "Vredens børn (1912)", "table": "custom_column_9", "is_category": true, "is_custom": true, "rec_index": 25, "kind": "field", "name": "oT (y)", "datatype": "text", "#extra#": null, "column": "value", "link_column": "value", "category_sort": "value", "search_terms": ["#origtitle_year_t_sc_c"], "is_editable": true, "is_multiple2": {}, "colnum": 9, "is_csp": false, "is_multiple": null}"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#origlang_t_sc_c" content="{"display": {"description": "", "use_decorations": 2}, "label": "origlang_t_sc_c", "#value#": "Danish", "table": "custom_column_24", "is_category": true, "is_custom": true, "rec_index": 23, "kind": "field", "name": "oL", "datatype": "text", "#extra#": null, "column": "value", "link_column": "value", "category_sort": "value", "search_terms": ["#origlang_t_sc_c"], "is_editable": true, "is_multiple2": {}, "colnum": 24, "is_csp": false, "is_multiple": null}"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#origlang_trans_cst_cn_unc" content="{"display": {"description": "", "is_names": false}, "label": "origlang_trans_cst_cn_unc", "#value#": ["Danish.Erich Holm"], "table": "custom_column_19", "is_category": true, "is_custom": true, "rec_index": 24, "kind": "field", "name": "oL/Trans", "datatype": "text", "#extra#": null, "column": "value", "link_column": "value", "category_sort": "value", "search_terms": ["#origlang_trans_cst_cn_unc"], "is_editable": true, "is_multiple2": {"cache_to_list": "|", "ui_to_list": ",", "list_to_ui": ", "}, "colnum": 19, "is_csp": false, "is_multiple": "|"}"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#trans_cst_cn_c" content="{"display": {"description": "", "is_names": true}, "label": "trans_cst_cn_c", "#value#": ["Erich Holm"], "table": "custom_column_15", "is_category": true, "is_custom": true, "rec_index": 27, "kind": "field", "name": "Trans", "datatype": "text", "#extra#": null, "column": "value", "link_column": "value", "category_sort": "value", "search_terms": ["#trans_cst_cn_c"], "is_editable": true, "is_multiple2": {"cache_to_list": "|", "ui_to_list": "&", "list_to_ui": " & "}, "colnum": 15, "is_csp": false, "is_multiple": "|"}"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#genre_cst_cn_unc" content="{"display": {"description": "", "is_names": false}, "label": "genre_cst_cn_unc", "#value#": [], "table": "custom_column_23", "is_category": true, "is_custom": true, "rec_index": 22, "kind": "field", "name": "Genre", "datatype": "text", "#extra#": null, "column": "value", "link_column": "value", "category_sort": "value", "search_terms": ["#genre_cst_cn_unc"], "is_editable": true, "is_multiple2": {"cache_to_list": "|", "ui_to_list": ",", "list_to_ui": ", "}, "colnum": 23, "is_csp": false, "is_multiple": "|"}"/>
</metadata>
<guide>
<reference href="cover.jpg" title="Cover" type="cover"/>
</guide>
</package>

Name:	Add your own columns.png
Views:	254
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	136927
I got 6 CCs (marked red).

I copied my /home/... files - that includes e.g. that here mentioned file.

Name:	resources-images.png
Views:	238
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	136928
/.config/calibre/resources/images

After reinstall (basic) calibre I will probably have to reinstall all my CCs again. Does calibre uses then this documents and files to set up the same interface which I see currently?

What else should I consider?

Last edited by chaot; 04-07-2015 at 10:16 AM.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you copied ALL the hidden stuff that was in HOME/.../Calibre (AKA the configuration folder)
Just restore that after installing Calibre (Calibre must be stopped)

All you may have to do is point Calibre to the Loctation of where you put the Old Library
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
First of all: Success!

I have the worst half an hour behind me.
It struck me that calibre installs in .../opt/calibre file. I had forgotten and therefore not backed up. Never Mind!

Quote:
If you copied ALL the hidden stuff that was in HOME/.../Calibre (AKA the configuration folder)
To specify that: Important is that the complete old .config/calibre folder is replaced against that during the reinstallation of calibre defined one.

Name:	config.png
Views:	238
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	136942
old .config/calibre folder
(The new folder coming with the calibre installation is much smaller.)

And calibre is to point to the location where the back copied library is.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The default install config is naked.

Every setting, every PI, just about everything User that is not Books or the DB (structure related settings) is there.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
FAQ:
How do I move my calibre library from one computer to another? (<-- ebook library)
How do I backup calibre? (<-- settings)

Also, don't bother backing up /opt/calibre -- that is just the program files, the appropriate way to recreate them is by installing calibre as per the directions.

Copy over the library folder as a unit and all your books will be retained, as well as custom columns and certain other per-library settings.
Copy over and restore the configuration folder (usually "~/.config/calibre/") and all settings that affect calibre as a whole will be retained, e.g. plugins, conversion settings, connected device settings, server settings, and much, much, more.

If you restore both, then calibre and the books in it will be identical to how it was on the old computer... or installation.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-07-2015 at 10:12 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
config/calibre, home/.../calibre, opt/calibre