Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
LMA
LMA began at the beginning.

Device: plain laptop
some large illuminated e ink ereaders

Hi. I have a nook glowlight but it's too small to read pdfs. Ex: journals or professional articles have 2 columns, seems with nook you either see both columns at once (to small) or pretty much just a paragraph and it omits any image the article may have.
The only illuminated e ink ereaders I've seen are 6 in!

can anyone tell me if there are some that are larger than that?

Thanks
LMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
RobertDDL
Whatever...
RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 840, Touch HD 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMA View Post
Hi. I have a nook glowlight but it's too small to read pdfs. Ex: journals or professional articles have 2 columns, seems with nook you either see both columns at once (to small) or pretty much just a paragraph and it omits any image the article may have.

Thanks
The 8" Pocketbook InkPad 840. It is great for text-based PDFs, even though in the current software version there is an area at the bottom of the page that is reserved for displaying page numbers, which you cannot disable, so you are effectively left with 7.5 inches. For graphic PDFs (scanned paper books, graphic novels etc.) it is totally unusable, it breaks down when the file has more than a few MB. Backlight is good, contrast is not state of the art but the high resolution (1200 x 1600, 250dpi) mostly makes up for it.
RobertDDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're a lot more likely to get help if you ask in the right place. Moved to the "Which one should I buy?" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDDL View Post
For graphic PDFs (scanned paper books, graphic novels etc.) it is totally unusable, it breaks down when the file has more than a few MB.
I put mupdfview on mine, and it's much quicker than the default AdobeViewer application for scanned PDF files. I know mupdfview works with firmware version 4.4. I'm not sure if it works with the latest 5.5 version.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMA View Post

Thanks
You should use 2-column mode if there is one or root your reader and install better pdf viewer with 2-column mode or you can use k2pdfopt's 2-column mode to crop pdf beforehand on PC or its reflow mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...cdHuI5hw#t=264

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by markom; 03-05-2015 at 09:37 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Basibly, two choices :
pocketbook inkpad, and cybook ocean.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote