Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
Shakes
Shakes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage (WiFi w/ Special Offers)
Kindle Voyage, sideloaded books, and Goodreads

Hopefully I explain this so it makes sense. I recently received my Kindle Voyage. I sideloaded a bunch of books that I converted from .epub to AZW3. Seems when I am in one of those books, and I try and open Goodreads to update my reading progress that it always errors out. I have tried a few books purchased directly from Amazon and of course the Goodreads stuff works correctly. I assume that the reason my sideloaded books and Goodreads don't play nicely is because they are sideloaded. What I'm wondering though is if there is a way to fix this problem. A plug-in for Calibre that could help, or maybe a piece of metadata that I overlooked that needs to be added.

I'm looking for any help that people can provide and I think you in advance.
Shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Have you tried side loading them by emailing them to your Kindle's email address. I don't really know anything about the Goodreads feature, but other syncing works via this mechanism.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Have you tried side loading them by emailing them to your Kindle's email address. I don't really know anything about the Goodreads feature, but other syncing works via this mechanism.
I haven't tried doing that yet, but it's an interesting thought. I'll give it a try however my guess is that there is something that Amazon embeds in files bought directly from them that is tied to the Goodreads stuff.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Shakes

So I just tried emailing it in .mobi format to my Kindle. This time it doesn't error out trying to open Goodreads, it will actually open it but I don't have the option to update anything about the book I'm currently reading. I imagine what is happening is with the AZW3 files that I converted and transferred via USB are causing the error because they are missing some tag or piece of data that identifies them them to Goodreads. Either it doesn't think it's a "real" Kindle book or it can't identify what book it is. When I uploaded to my Kindle's email address I don't think it errors out at all when trying the Goodreads stuff because it has a personal tag on it and Goodreads just thinks it's a personal doc of some sort.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
You have to set correct ASIN code in book metadata. You cannot do it with Calibre, because Calibre put some GUID in ASIN field when converting books.

You can do it with Mobi2Mobi (GUI): set "exth type" to "113 - ASIN" and type correct ASIN code to "exth data" field (you can find it in Product Details section for kindle books on Amazon.com), mark the checkbox and click convert button. Then set "exth type" to "501 - CDEContentType" and type "EBOK" in "exth data", mark checkbox and click Convert button.

The only problem is that Mobi2Mobi doesn't support AZW3, only MOBI and PRC.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21763

Last edited by tono1020; 02-23-2015 at 06:17 PM.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
When calibre sidelods a book, I assume the Personal banner is missing? That means an ASIN was embedded. But the wrong one -- it will have been randomly generated. The Kindle is likely looking up the ASIN as an intermediate step to finding the book on Goodreads.
If it is actually a PDOC, I don't know if Amazon officially supports that anyway. If it comes to that, probaly not...

If you make sure the calibre metadata includes a correct amazon identifier, the Quality Check plugin will embed that as the ASIN, and hopefully the Kindle will stop being confused.

At least, if my guess is correct. I don't have a KPW to test my theory.

Edit: Beaten. Great minds think alike.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-23-2015 at 06:18 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
7hir7een
E-book Addict
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Mini, iPhone X, iPad 2017
Elaborating a little on what eschwartz said:

You can use the Quality Check plugin in Calibre. There's a function under the "Fix" menu called "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire".

This requires the ASIN to be the identifier for amazon in the Ids field on the metadata screen. (i.e., amazon:B00xxxxxxx).

I've been doing this since I got my Voyage, and it works quite nicely.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tono1020 View Post
You have to set correct ASIN code in book metadata. You cannot do it with Calibre, because Calibre put some GUID in ASIN field when converting books.

You can do it with Mobi2Mobi (GUI): set "exth type" to "113 - ASIN" and type correct ASIN code to "exth data" field (you can find it in Product Details section for kindle books on Amazon.com), mark the checkbox and click convert button. Then set "exth type" to "501 - CDEContentType" and type "EBOK" in "exth data", mark checkbox and click Convert button.

The only problem is that Mobi2Mobi doesn't support AZW3, only MOBI and PRC.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21763
Thanks. Ok, so what I should do is convert everything to MOBI and then use Mobi2Mobi to set the proper ASIN and that other data you listed and I should be good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
When calibre sidelods a book, I assume the Personal banner is missing? That means an ASIN was embedded. But the wrong one -- it will have been randomly generated. The Kindle is likely looking up the ASIN as an intermediate step to finding the book on Goodreads.
If it is actually a PDOC, I don't know if Amazon officially supports that anyway. If it comes to that, probaly not...

If you make sure the calibre metadata includes a correct amazon identifier, the Quality Check plugin will embed that as the ASIN, and hopefully the Kindle will stop being confused.

At least, if my guess is correct. I don't have a KPW to test my theory.

Edit: Beaten. Great minds think alike.
My AZW3 obviously don't have the personal banner. Will the QUality Check plug in work with AZW3 or do I need to convert to MOBI?

Thanks both of you for the replies, you are pointing me in the right direction.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quality Check is an alternative to mobi2mobi and works with both MOBI and AZW3.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Shakes

Thank you to everyone who helped. You all are rockstars and everything is working the way that I was hoping that it would. Thanks once again!

Edit: Seriously, this was the only thing bugging me about the Voyage, and now it's fixed.

Last edited by Shakes; 02-23-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Happy to help.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #12
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Quality Check is an alternative to mobi2mobi and works with both MOBI and AZW3.
Thanks eschwartz and 7hir7een!
I didn't know about Quality Check plugin. I tried it and it worked just fine, even for AZW3 format, so I will use it in future for syncing sideloaded AZW3 books.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #13
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2, iPad Mini 2, LG v10 (sometimes)
I was wondering about this with my Paperwhite. I'm glad I read this thread and now know there is a way to get GR to recognize sideloaded books.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Elaborating a little on what eschwartz said:

You can use the Quality Check plugin in Calibre. There's a function under the "Fix" menu called "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire".

This requires the ASIN to be the identifier for amazon in the Ids field on the metadata screen. (i.e., amazon:B00xxxxxxx).

I've been doing this since I got my Voyage, and it works quite nicely.
Will this simple method fix the problem? Or should I use mobi2mobi still?

EDIT: Also, can this fix the issue of not being able to post quotes in Social Media? I learned before that only books bought in Amazon can have this feature.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

mobi2mobi might work, although it is old and no longer supported (and seems to not handle unicode properly, maybe just filename issues though).

On the other hand, I know Quality Check works.
Re: Social media quotes, I wouldn't know, I've never tried. But I would think so, since the Kindle thinks the book came from Amazon.