Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
mfomich
mfomich began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Link to the next page

Hello guys!

Suppose, I have a sigil file with multiple pages. For some strange reason I need to put a hyperlink on each page, which leads to the next page. Can I do this with some kind of universal link or should I use absolute address for each link?

Thank you.
mfomich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Absolute addresses. There is no way to dynamically tell it to go different places depending on the source location.

I agree with you on the "strange reason" part.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You probably don't need any link. Sigil's not a reading app. There will be no way (by default) to navigate from one page|chapter|section to the next from within Book View. Each html file is edited/viewed within its own self-contained tab.

But since all "pages" will be manifested (and included in the spine) of the opf file using Sigil, they will automatically flow to the next one when viewed in a proper epub reader. Check your epub with something like Adobe Desktop Edition or calibre's ebook viewer (without including a manual link to the next section) and see.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant by "for some strange reason." I'm assuming you're simply unfamiliar with Sigil and/or epub editors (and no ... there is no magic "go to the next page" type of link that can be used).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-26-2015 at 07:41 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You probably don't need any link. Sigil's not a reading app. There will be no way (by default) to navigate from one page|chapter|section to the next from within Book View. Each html file is edited/viewed within its own self-contained tab.

But since all "pages" will be manifested (and included in the spine) of the opf file using Sigil, they will automatically flow to the next one when viewed in a proper epub reader. Check your epub with something like Adobe Desktop Edition or calibre's ebook viewer (without including a manual link to the next section) and see.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant by "for some strange reason." I'm assuming you're simply unfamiliar with Sigil and/or epub editors (and no ... there is no magic "go to the next page" type of link that can be used).
In (default keyboard) Sigil
Alt-PgDn
Alt-PgUp
steps thru same file types in the book browser list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I could be all wet, but I just got the impression the OP thought the next page links were necessary for the epub to function properly. Like the links were required to get to the next page|chapter|section at all.

Like; "for some strange reason, my book won't go to the next 'page'". I see now that it could just as easily have been; "say someone was making me do this (for some strange reason), how would I go about it?"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I see now that it could just as easily have been; "say someone was making me do this (for some strange reason), how would I go about it?"
That's what I assumed, 'someone' was imposing a web magazine long article style

Something like this from Vanity Fair ==>> It's the Economy, Dummkopf!

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
mfomich

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, I don't need a forward link, because a can simply tap the screen, but a link to a previous page and for reloading the current one (for example, if you want to go back to the beginning of the current chapter) would be useful. Seems like absolute links are the only choice.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfomich View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Actually, I don't need a forward link, because a can simply tap the screen, but a link to a previous page and for reloading the current one (for example, if you want to go back to the beginning of the current chapter) would be useful. Seems like absolute links are the only choice.
Kindles have a TOC.

OK it takes 3 selections (menu:TOC:item)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Or swipe up/down to jump between ToC items.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

How do you know what "page" they are on? What's the top and bottom of that page? And what constitutes the "previous" page? How do you determine that on the fly? In what reading device? At what size font? On what size screen?

My "page" in my Win8 Kindle Reader on my Lenovo Yoga Thinkpad is not remotely the same as my "page" on my Voyage. My "page" on my ePUBreader on my Thinkpad is not the same as my "page" on my NookHD.

How will you make those determinations, to put a "go back a page" or "go forward a page," type link????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"My "page" on my ePUBreader on my Thinkpad is not the same as my "page" on my NookHD"

That all seems vaguely distasteful. I think it was ee-poo-breeder that got me started. Is that REALLY its name?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
mfomich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
How do you know what "page" they are on? What's the top and bottom of that page? And what constitutes the "previous" page? How do you determine that on the fly? In what reading device? At what size font? On what size screen?
I mean if a book consists of some html or xhtml files (as one can see in Sigil), we could possibly make a navigation between them. Absolute links are straightforward. But, you're right, in relative links we should determine what is "previous" first. I thought that when organized into an ebook, these html pages get specific names (like page0001.html, page0002.html and so on), so that we can make a script to jump between them just forward and backward. Now I read your answers and see that it is hardly possible.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I mean if a book consists of some html or xhtml files (as one can see in Sigil), we could possibly make a navigation between them. Absolute links are straightforward. But, you're right, in relative links we should determine what is "previous" first. I thought that when organized into an ebook, these html pages get specific names (like page0001.html, page0002.html and so on), so that we can make a script to jump between them just forward and backward. Now I read your answers and see that it is hardly possible.
mfomich:

If you had a fixed-format eBook, in either ePUB or MOBI, you could do this. But honestly, in my humble opinion, you are over-thinking it. (I am badly guilty of this myself. I know what it's like.) Unless each "page" of your ebook is its own html file, that won't work, not reliably. Normally, each xhtml or html "section" in an ebook is actually a chapter, or a section, not a page.

In real devices, you can hit the "back" button (in about 90% of them); you have the NCX for navigation in ePUB2; you have the TOC (basically) for nav in ePUB3 and in the Kindle devices. Honestly--there's virtually (ha!) no reason to have a link to a "previous" page, because a) you can't figure out what the hell that is, and b) there are far, far easier ways to get back to where you were, than that.

I hope that helps. As you develop in the ways of The ePUB Force, you'll see that it's overthinking it. Trust me.

@nj: Firefox's add-in reader is called, "ePUBReader." I don't remember the name of my ePUBreader on my Yoga TP, to be honest. I used it generically.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote