Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Broken stylus; any way to recover it?

Hi, everybody.

I have no idea how it happened, but the top of my stylus for the PRS-350 has broken/snapped of.... with the rest of the portion stuck inside the slot.

Is there anyway to recover it? What I mean is, if I loosen all the screws on the device, is there any way to retrieve the metal portion that's stuck in that groove?

I'm guessing not...

Not too happy right now.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You could take the back plate off and I'm sure you'll be able to get it out that way. I swapped screens between a silver and blue shell and posted the steps with photos here that might help you out.

Then you could order another stylus that will fit perfectly in the Sony from Shapeway here that a member (chris77586) created and set up for us. I've ordered them in the past and they fit perfect. You won't get the slight click or feel of it snapping it place, but it definitely stays snugly inside the channel and will not fall out on its own.

When you slide the stylus out, only push it out the least amount needed to then pull it out. What most make the mistake of doing is pushing against the stylus while sliding it up, and continue that pressure against the stylus when it's no longer needed bending it enough to eventually crack it.

Once you get the stylus out when you remove the back, check if it really is broken or maybe if the top just became unscrewed from the stylus. If you're lucky, that's all that happened and you can just screw it back on. And btw, no part of the stylus is metal, the tip is plastic just colored in silver.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-19-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
That happened to my old prs 350 and I was able to recover it by attaching tape to the top end of the stylus (wrapping around it so it extends like a tube) and then inserting it to reach the broken end. By gently pulling the stylus out the broken end came out attached to the tape.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
That happened to my old prs 350 and I was able to recover it by attaching tape to the top end of the stylus (wrapping around it so it extends like a tube) and then inserting it to reach the broken end. By gently pulling the stylus out the broken end came out attached to the tape.
I'm trying this, but not having great luck with it!
Advert
Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Now that I think about it, one of the used blue readers I bought for the shell had a broken stylus inside. I was able to get it out using a long needle and piercing it into the center of the shaft, and then just pulled it out.

If that doesn't work, just remove the back cover and you'll be able to get it out.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
beautifulsoup
Addict

Well, I found another thread about this, and have read a number of methods. Don't know what I'll try.

Someone mentioned that a Q-tip works just fine when you're around the house.

Thanks, all.