Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question Kindle index files: file path hash method

I had a look at the files in:

Code:
/mnt/us/system/Search Indexes
which appears to contain the actual search indexes and the following two files:

Code:
Index.db 
Index.lg
Index.db appears to be a B-Tree database that contains words as well as file paths and hash values.

I've got the following questions:
  1. Is there any database program that can open index.db or is it a custom Amazon file format?
  2. What kind of hash method does the Kindle firmware usually use to convert Unix file paths to hashes? (Index file names always start with a lowercase y followed by a 32 character hexadecimal number, which is not an MD5 hash.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
try the sqlite already installed on the Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
try the sqlite already installed on the Kindle.
Even though the database has a .db extension it is not an SQLite database.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Even though the database has a .db extension it is not an SQLite database.
What is the output of the utility "file" when used on the database?

Ah, this is *nix, file extensions are not significant (except sometimes, to the human involved), so your observation is not relevant.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is the output of the utility "file" when used on the database?
"file" only identifies the file as a data file. I.e. it's not a common run-of-the-mill file.

Quote:
Ah, this is *nix, file extensions are not significant (except sometimes, to the human involved), so your observation is not relevant.
My observation is relevant. Based on the strings in the .db file, for example, jdbm.btree.BTree, I'm pretty sure that it's some kind of Java B-Tree database file.
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
"file" only identifies the file as a data file. I.e. it's not a common run-of-the-mill file.

My observation is relevant. Based on the strings in the .db file, for example, jdbm.btree.BTree, I'm pretty sure that it's some kind of Java B-Tree database file.
Ah, a case of apples and oranges -

Your observation that an extension of .db implies a SQLite file, and that you thought that was my reasoning for making the suggestion that I did **is wrong**.

And any implied association between an extension and the file format **is not relevant** for any *nix system.

I made no reference to the btree appearance of the data, many things are "btree" in appearance.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your observation that an extension of .db implies a SQLite file, and that you thought that was my reasoning for making the suggestion that I did **is wrong**.
On the contrary. Since you tend to assume that non-regular posters in this forums are idiots lack techical skills and often jump to conclusions when replying, this is exactly what I expected your reply to be.

Quote:
And any implied association between an extension and the file format **is not relevant** for any *nix system.
It may surprise you to learn that I'm actually well aware of this fact. (I'm writing this post on a Linux machine.)

Quote:
I made no reference to the btree appearance of the data, many things are "btree" in appearance.
Indeed. You made no reference to the btree appearance and obviously haven't even looked at the database file. How about you grab one of the "many devices" that you own according to your profile and have a look at the actual file instead of posting more conjecture?

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-23-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
How about you grab one of the "many devices" that you own according to your profile and have a look at the actual file instead of posting more conjecture?
Because I am not the one asking the questions.
You (write) sound as if you are fully capable of discovering the answer.
Let us know what it is when you do.