Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Overdrive - no apple devices

Most of the time, I end up getting WMA audiobooks from OverDrive. I download them on my PC, and the OverDrive program converts them and transfers them to my iPod nano.

One recent book wouldn't transfer, because of a restriction on the audiobook for "no apple devices". It is also "no burn to CD". I tried listening to the book on my android phone with the OverDrive app, and it said that wasn't supported either.

So, what allowed options exist for listening to an audiobook like this, aside from sitting at my PC for 15 hours?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Did you re-download the audiobook using the Overdrive App on Android or try to transfer it from your PC? I've only used the Overdrive App on iOS and I used that to download and play the audiobook. Unfortunately that won't work on a Nano but I would think it should work with your Android App.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Most of the time, I end up getting WMA audiobooks from OverDrive. I download them on my PC, and the OverDrive program converts them and transfers them to my iPod nano.

One recent book wouldn't transfer, because of a restriction on the audiobook for "no apple devices". It is also "no burn to CD". I tried listening to the book on my android phone with the OverDrive app, and it said that wasn't supported either.

So, what allowed options exist for listening to an audiobook like this, aside from sitting at my PC for 15 hours?
I hate the WMA format, it's a pain.

Anyway, the publisher decides on formats and platform compatibility. There's no legal way to get around this. DRM WMA is not compatible with Android, iOS, Linux, and Mac OS. When you see compatibility with iOS/Apple, it's because the publisher allows it and the process involves converting the WMA files to AAC files.

Your only option is to get an MP3 player like the Sansa Clips or any number of other MP3 players out there that are compatible with DRM WMA. See here and here and here.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-08-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Did you re-download the audiobook using the Overdrive App on Android or try to transfer it from your PC? I've only used the Overdrive App on iOS and I used that to download and play the audiobook. Unfortunately that won't work on a Nano but I would think it should work with your Android App.
In this particular case, the publisher won't allow this WMA audiobook to be transferred to Apple devices; and transferring to Android devices is never allowed. When you use the OverDrive app on your iOS device, you're also subject to those same restrictions. In this case, you wouldn't be allowed to download it either.

All audiobooks displayed in the OverDrive app are in MP3 format. The OverDrive app never displays WMA audiobooks, because they aren't compatible. Also keep in mind that in the typical OverDrive library, 20-30% of it's audiobook collection is in WMA format only. That means if you rely on the OverDrive app, you're missing out on a substantial portion of your library's collection.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Your only option is to get an MP3 player like the Sansa Clips or any number of other MP3 players out there that are compatible with DRM WMA. See here and here and here.
Okay, thanks. I've only run across this on a couple titles, so I'll probably just move on to other books.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Cowon J3 I can use for Audiobooks like that if need be. I also have my iPhone 5 and my Surface Pro 2. I think I have enough to be able to listen on the go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Call your library. They want to know if a book they have paid for is unusable by their patrons. We had this issue with a whole series. The library system was refunded the money and they bought CDs for the series instead. This was Overdrive's error. They had already been told that our library would only pay for content that worked on both Ipods and android (80% of library users in our system use an Idevice).

You used to be able to transfer WMA's in earlier versions of Itunes/Overdrive Console. Doesn't want to work now. So, yes, you are stuck playing on your computer. I've considered getting a blue tooth adapter for my computer since I have multiple blue tooth speakers. They are $12-25.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-31-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Call your library. They want to know if a book they have paid for is unusable by their patrons. We had this issue with a whole series. The library system was refunded the money and they bought CDs for the series instead. This was Overdrive's error. They had already been told that our library would only pay for content that worked on both Ipods and android (80% of library users in our system use an Idevice).
So they got a format that wasn't compatible for both? That makes no sense.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So they got a format that wasn't compatible for both? That makes no sense.
WMA is not compatible with Overdrive on iOS and Android. That's why Overdrive is switching to MP3 for audiobooks.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
WMA is not compatible with Overdrive on iOS and Android. That's why Overdrive is switching to MP3 for audiobooks.
I know it's not compatible and the switch needs publisher permission. That's why it's taking OverDrive such a long time to convert. It's been a year since they started this.

My point was that CD's aren't compatible with Android and iOS either. It's worse, because it forces you to physically visit the library to get the CD.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
You used to be able to transfer WMA's in earlier versions of Itunes/Overdrive Console. Doesn't want to work now. So, yes, you are stuck playing on your computer. I've considered getting a blue tooth adapter for my computer since I have multiple blue tooth speakers. They are $12-25.
You still can when the publisher gives permission. Two examples:

Divergent -- Veronica Roth
  • Format: OverDrive WMA Audiobook
  • Burn to CD: Permitted
  • Transfer to device: Permitted
  • Transfer to Apple® device: Permitted

Mr. Mercedes -- Stephen King
  • Format: OverDrive WMA Audiobook
  • Burn to CD: Not permitted
  • Transfer to device: Permitted (3 times)
  • Transfer to Apple® device: Not permitted

I use a $30 Sansa Clip to listen to WMA audiobooks. It's always compatible.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I know it's not compatible and the switch needs publisher permission. That's why it's taking OverDrive such a long time to convert. It's been a year since they started this.

My point was that CD's aren't compatible with Android and iOS either. It's worse, because it forces you to physically visit the library to get the CD.
Rip the CD to a format compatible with your device. Then you have a compatible eBook.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Rip the CD to a format compatible with your device. Then you have a compatible eBook.
Only if the the publisher allows it.

Quite frankly, this is way too much hassle to get a book and I wouldn't do it. I'd find something else to read instead; something I can download.

Instead of allowing me to download a WMA title to my Sansa Clip from the comfort of my home, I would be required to drive to my library to borrow a CD, wasting both time and money. Then I'd have to spend more time converting the CD for playback on my player. This is so old school and not worth the time and expense involved in doing so.