Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
porgy
porgy began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook New Basic
[SOLVED]How to unblock frozen PocketBook Basic New?!

Hello everyone,
I have a PocketBook Basic New (model 613), purchased online 2 yrs ago. Since then, I've updated the firmware to the latest version (4.0 of March 2013, if I don't err). I liked it even though I noticed it was slower than earlier.

Now, yesterday, after a few days of intensive use due to upcoming exams and tests, it froze on the Recent Events screen.
I've tried pressing the Reset button, alone and in combination with other keys (Power button, left/right button, OK button), but the screen is still frozen. Even the direction buttons don't move the pointer which is constantly fixed on the first item of the Recent Events' list. The battery was half-empty, so I thought maybe I should recharge the battery and that will do the trick - nothing!
I also tried to connect the device to the PC but Windows 7 doesn't recognize it.
I suppose this is what is called "hanged up e-reader"? Can someone please help me out?

Last edited by porgy; 12-04-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: SOLVED
porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I'm not familiar with that model Pocketbook, but with mine (360) you can sometimes unfreeze it by unplugging the battery. There should be a door on the back that you can remove, and then just unplug the battery for about 10 seconds. Plug it back in, put the door back on, and hopefully you'll be good to go.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
porgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
There should be a door on the back that you can remove, and then just unplug the battery for about 10 seconds.
Thank you for your suggestion, MmavisO. I've consulted the handbook and there is definitely no way to open the e-reader from the back to check on the battery. I would have to crack it open with pliers or some other sharp tool and risk damaging the device altogether. Please check the official website [here] to see this model in 3D view.

The Pocketbook help-line told me to connect the reader to the PC or the wall plug point and then keep the power button pressed for a minimum of 15 seconds. I kept it pressed for much longer but it didn't solve the problem, the screen's still frozen!

It's such a pity! It only lasted about 2 years, which is more or less the warranty period of a gadget in my country.

Last edited by porgy; 12-01-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
serge76_fr
Enthusiast
serge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmosserge76_fr has become one with the cosmos

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux and Inkpad
Porgy, according to the pictures, your device looks very similarly built to my PB Touch Lux. On my ereader, I have to remove the black plastic part which is on the back to see the battery.

This plastic part is attached on the device by several clips. To open it, you could slide one of your nails or the blade of a little kniffe in one of the corners between the front and the back part and pull gently.

Have a look on this page. The pictures will certainly help you.
serge76_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
porgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge76_fr View Post

Have a look on this page. The pictures will certainly help you.
Those pictures are awesome! They gave me an idea. I let the battery discharge completely (well, I couldn't do otherwise, since everything's frozen) and then I plugged it into the wall-point to recharge. After a couple of hours I went back to check if the power button was working again and it did! The device got un-frozen. Yay!

Can't remember when was the last time I recharged the batteries...was it June or May?
Anyways, thank you folks, for your suggestions!
Bye.

Last edited by porgy; 12-24-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: more details
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
bigboy
bigboy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 623
Hello,
I If you can connect the device to your computer it may helps:
1. Show hidden files to your device -(Windows 7) In menu Organize/ Folder and search options, tab View, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
2.Go to folder system\config\widgets\config\ and delete file wall.cache
bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
porgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy
Go to folder system\config\widgets\config\ and delete file wall.cache
What is that for?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-24-2014 at 05:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocketbook hanged