Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
epub vs kepub

Could someone explain to me the advantage and disadvantage of both when using a H2O ? I have epubs, never buying on kobo, but would like to know whether it makes sense to convert at least some to kepub for use on my new H2O.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen.
The main advantage, some claim, is that the H2O processes kepubs faster than epubs. I can't confirm since all I have is kepub, converted onthe fly with the KePub Output Plugin for Calibre. Also you get page header and footer with kepubs (at the expense of text) and the option to chose either book or chapter page count.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
The main advantage, some claim, is that the H2O processes kepubs faster than epubs. I can't confirm since all I have is kepub, converted onthe fly with the KePub Output Plugin for Calibre. Also you get page header and footer with kepubs (at the expense of text) and the option to chose either book or chapter page count.
Yes, that's what I understand too, but since so many here convert to kepub I am wondering if I am missing something more important or useful...

Old 11-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KVoyage, KOasis 2, KPW4, FHD8
On the odd occasion I have sent an epub to my Kobo when I display it I get text right at the top of the screen and a big gap at the bottom. If the Full Screen Reading hack worked okay it wouldn't be an issue but as it has a few bugs I now prefer to have a header and footer and they display perfectly with kepubs.

I also use the Kepub Output Plug in which works seemlessley.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
aceflor
Constant Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
On the odd occasion I have sent an epub to my Kobo when I display it I get text right at the top of the screen and a big gap at the bottom. If the Full Screen Reading hack worked okay it wouldn't be an issue but as it has a few bugs I now prefer to have a header and footer and they display perfectly with kepubs.

I also use the Kepub Output Plug in which works seemlessley.
This never happened top me with the patch. You have patched yours, right ...?
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't found any speed difference between epubs and kepubs.

The only differences arise because the rendering engine is different for both. Kepubs are rendered through ACCESS (somehow an engine only included in Kobos) while epubs are rendered through Adobe RMSDK which is a standard in every single eReader but kindles (because it's needed to handle ADEPT DRM scheme used by nearly everybody but Amazon).

Each renderer has its own set of little differences. The main ones, which are not bugs or improperly supported features, are:
  • ACCESS shows header and footer. RMSDK only shows footer.
  • ACCESS has hyphenation disabled by default, RMSDK has it enabled. (And in either case, changing that behaviour is somehow tricky because you need to set CSS properties in the book... more or less).
  • ACCESS (since FW 3.11) allows a per book page numbering (more or less one page is 1000 characters) and a true per chapter page turn numbering (I mean that if you change font or margin sizes, the number of pages of your chapter is updated...) RMSDK only offers the first one.
  • ACCESS has an image browser which allows a detailed navigation over embedded images in your books (double tap over a image to call it).
  • ACCESS is in theory epub3 capable, but there are really nearly no epub 3 books.
  • ACCESS handles links to short texts as pop-ups. I mean that it uses some heuristics to detect if a link is just a "footnote" in which case it just opens a pop-up window. RMSDK always jumps to the pointed position despite the size of that position.

And then you also have different known bugs on them. In this post in FW 3.11 thread you have a brief summary of them.

OTOH you don't need Kepub Output Calibre plugin. This plugin is intended to create definitive kepub duplicate versions of your epubs. If you just want to have epubs in your Calibre HDD library, you should download and install Kobo Touch Extended Driver plugin which transparently allows to convert your HDD epubs into kepubs when you send them to your Kobo eReader (if you want).
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
These are the advantages of each format that I notice:

KePub (sideloaded):

* Quicker to respond to page turn gestures (especially tap gesture)
* Faster text selection (e.g. when highlighting large areas of text)
* Support for footnote previews
* Can double-tap to zoom images

ePub:

* Better hyphenation (kepub reader can hyphenate words in the wrong place if they have trailing punctuation)
* Full justification works properly (kepub reader doesn't properly justify some lines that contain certain common characters such as elipsis and mdash)
* Better support for embedded fonts
* Full-screen mode works without fonts being cut off
* Better word spacing when using full justification

(Apart from the last, all of these ePub advantages are due to bugs in the KePub reader.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-12-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Time estimate maybe only for synced kepubs?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
ETA: Well, as usual, I'm not nearly quick enough but I'll leave my post here anyway.

Kepub vs. epub is entirely personal preference.

I think the pop-up footnotes in kepub are very popular. Also the double-tap on image to zoom may be useful. Also kepubs have the page number within chapter option where 1 screen = 1 page. Whereas, in standard epubs, page number is always page within entire book and is the Adobe calculation of page number.

Having said that, my personal preference is still standard epub, mainly because I know exactly what I'm going to see. You can't (currently) open a calibre kepub in the calibre Editor from within calibre.

There seems to be a lot of confused and confusing advice offered regarding kepub conversions. This is my take on it (which may be yet another confused and confusing opinion )

If you decide kepub is best I wouldn't advise doing a mass calibre conversion to kepub. Leave epub as your 'master' format and use the calibre Kobo Touch Extended Driver plugin to replace the standard KOBOTOUCH driver. If you select a standard epub in calibre and send-to-device, on-the-fly it can auto-convert to kepub and send the kepub to the device. Calibre will still only have the epub and the Kobo device will have a kepub.

If you think kepub is only best for certain books (like me) then the KePub Output Plugin is a better option. With this installed you can do a calibre any-format-->kepub conversion and the kepub format will reside in calibre alongside all other formats for that book. Then when you USB-connect the Kobo to calibre you would choose the kepub format when you send-to-device. In which case you would probably stick with the standard KOBOTOUCH driver.

Best advice is to try a couple of each before making your mind up.

@Josie,
You don't need to choose kepub to get a little space between top of screen and first line of text. There are other options. The Kobo Patcher is one but if you're not comfortable with that the 'Modify CSS' option of the KOBOTOUCH driver is very simple to install.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-12-2014 at 02:57 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
cct1
Connoisseur
cct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trollscct1 doesn't feed trolls

Device: multiple
I had some problems converting AZW. to epub, then kepub and sending that to the H20, mainly with the footer on the bottom cutting off text. However, with the kepub plugin, going straight from AZW to the Kobo using the kepub plugin, no problems at all, perfection in one less step.
cct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It's possible Josieb1 isn't using GeoffR's patch, but only adding the lines to her reader to get the check box to show in the settings.

But if you use GeoffR's patch and set it up correctly, you can set the spacing to whatever you want to get minimal space both at the top and bottom of the page, you really take advantage of full screen use with it with epubs with his patch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	676
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	130992  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
When I tried (in 3.5.0, I believe), I was disappointed by kepub, it didn't keep some of the formatting of by epub (I just renamed the .epub to .kepub.epub), I mean things like centered headings, pagebreaks...

It's probably just the way the user's preferencences (justification, font, etc.) are applied on top of the book's CSS, but I have learnt how to deal with ADE, I don't want to learn to deal with something different now.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
When I tried (in 3.5.0, I believe), I was disappointed by kepub, it didn't keep some of the formatting of by epub (I just renamed the .epub to .kepub.epub), I mean things like centered headings, pagebreaks...

It's probably just the way the user's preferencences (justification, font, etc.) are applied on top of the book's CSS, but I have learnt how to deal with ADE, I don't want to learn to deal with something different now.
Yes, what he said. Perhaps we're Luddites
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
No that's a big standard epub emailed to me (I get books for review) that I loaded via Dropbox.

If I'm at home I always transfer using Calibre and the plugins
Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Josieb1
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
OTOH you don't need Kepub Output Calibre plugin. This plugin is intended to create definitive kepub duplicate versions of your epubs. If you just want to have epubs in your Calibre HDD library, you should download and install Kobo Touch Extended Driver plugin which transparently allows to convert your HDD epubs into kepubs when you send them to your Kobo eReader (if you want).
Thank you. I have both plugins installed but I really didn't know which one did what
Old 11-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Josieb1
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Josie,
You don't need to choose kepub to get a little space between top of screen and first line of text. There are other options. The Kobo Patcher is one but if you're not comfortable with that the 'Modify CSS' option of the KOBOTOUCH driver is very simple to install.
Thank you, I'll look into the other options