Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
v2.5 messed up book list display

Sometime between whatever version I was running before and this latest version, a "feature" was added that alternates the background colors for each book in a library list.

I don't want it to do that. I am running a dark theme because white backgrounds give me a stabbing headache and this was clearly not set up with people who have vision problems in mind.

I want it to display the library lists EXACTLY like they used to be displayed. I want it to use my high-contrast theme settings as they are set up via Win 7, exactly like it used to do. I can't find any settings to do that.

Can someone help me figure out how to turn this "feature" off?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I *think* you might have come from a calibre 1.xx version to calibre 2.xx. These use different underlying graphics library (QT4 vs QT5) and some of the customization that was possible with QT4 is no longer possible.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Thankfully that is incorrect, and would be unacceptable were it correct.

The issue is that Calibre does not properly handle the case where a user is using a high-contrast theme. This is pretty standard stuff.

I did finally manage to find the preferences settings. The problem with THAT is that the widget that Calibre uses to "drop down" anything that doesn't fit on the tool bar is invisible in a high contrast theme. It is very thin and all the way to the right so unless you position your cursor JUST RIGHT (and in order to do that it helps if you magically already know where the invisible widget is) you can't get to preferences or any other tool that doesn't fit within the width of the window.

I had to maximize the window to find preferences.

Preferences allows me to set either "calibre style" or "windows standard style" (or something like that). Setting that to "windows standard" or whatever it is - not the Calibre version at least - gets rid of the eye-stabbing alternating white bars in the library list.

But regardless of which style you have selected, that widget to expand the tool bar is still invisible. Possibly there are other invisible widgets as well.

Also the text colors for Authors, Series, IDS, and Tags in that little info window in the lower left of the calibre window is using a default bright royal blue (normal display) and bright red (for mouseover highlight) to display text. The blue color is unreadable on a dark background (mine is dark charcoal) and the red is pretty eye searing. Also for some bizarre reason, part of the last letter in the Series field, however long it is, is displayed in that bright red color.

I would attach a picture - I did go to all the trouble to get one - but apparently this forum (which ALSO hasn't properly coded for high-contrast visually impaired folks because this editor has a bunch of invisible-in-high-contrast-mode widgets as well) won't insert a picture, it will only display a picture with an URL.

So hopefully the developer will read this and fix his widgets so they're not invisible in high contrast mode, then fix the colors being used to display those links so they, too, are not illegible or painful to the user who must use a hight contrast theme.

Or give us the option to change those colors in the appearance tab. That would probably be easiest for the user, and probably the coder as well. I'm not sure where those default colors are coming from, but I can't find a Windows setting that will change them - so please, please, PLEASE let those of us who need to use high-contrast settings fix it so we can actually see that text.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Preferences allows me to set either "calibre style" or "windows standard style" (or something like that). Setting that to "windows standard" or whatever it is - not the Calibre version at least - gets rid of the eye-stabbing alternating white bars in the library list.
As you found out going to version 2.x of calibre changes the calibre style grid coloring as PeterT pointed out. Since Windows Style uses your system settings is there any fine change you can make in your system colors that would alter the are which you are having problems?

The developer will be busy with a new born child for a few weeks and may not respond to this thread. In order to bring this to his attention you may want to submit an enhancement request.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Xen - another MR Member - Purple Lady - had a similar problem, I think she found a solution, but IIRC it is buried in a one of the tediously long calibre 2.0/XP threads, you could send Purple Lady a PM.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Xen - another MR Member - Purple Lady - had a similar problem, I think she found a solution, but IIRC it is buried in a one of the tediously long calibre 2.0/XP threads, you could send Purple Lady a PM.

BR
She found the same solution the OP found by switching styles.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
@Xen - I did have a problem with the colors, but I wasn't using a high contrast theme at the time. Changing to use interface style system default was what I found to work as well.

I am using a high contrast theme now, but I use the high contrast white because I found a lot of apps and web pages do not work when a high contrast black theme is used. I had to change almost every color to get rid of the white and Calibre does work well with it. A lot of web pages still have things missing, but I turn high contrast off and on to see where I need to click and then memorize for the next time. MobileRead is one of the sites that works fine with my current high contrast theme. I have the background color set to a medium lilac color so if your problem with white is not severe maybe you could try changing the windows background to something not white, but not too dark.

For the toolbar in Calibre you can change the position of the items you use most and put them where you don't need to get to the second row. There's also a plugin called Favourites Menu you can add to the toolbar to put the things you use, but don't use too often, so they are easier to get to. Not exactly favorites, but it does group things so you can get to the easily.

Here's a screen print of Calibre using my high contrast theme, and also a screen print of MobileRead advanced reply screen - you can see all the editing tools including the attachments icon:
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	185
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	129810
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobileread.png
Views:	155
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	129811
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote