Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Lightbulb Need More Room For Devices

Would it be possible to increase the character count in the box for E-book Devices in the User CP section?

As a device junkie, I've already hit the space limit and won't really be able to add much more because certain of them (Aluratek and Pandigital) can't really be abbreviated.

I've noticed a lot of other users are being forced to severely truncate/abbreviate the names of their devices, too, when they have a lot of them. I like to actually be able to read the names of the devices people have, rather than trying to decipher code names, in order to check them out for myself to see if I want to get one.

Thanks.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm in agreement with this, too.

Anyone else?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would suggest two lists; one short one that shows all the time under the user in the normal threads, and a second list that is unlimited by length that can be viewed when visiting the users page.

Glancing through threads, there seems to be a lot of dead white space in the post section due to the user section being too tall.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But how many times does anyone really visit a user's page, other than thanking them for karma? That sort of defeats the purpose of listing the devices - if you use the section like I do, which is a) to check to see if the poster actually has the device under discussion in the thread, and b) to see which devices people are using that I don't have and which I might like.

Maybe a dedicated line or two above/below the signature area under the post would provide more space to list the devices without creating as much blank space, if that's actually an issue for the site administrators? Though large avatar images seem to create just as much blank space in posts as full Device listings. I actually don't mind the blank spaces; sometimes they just provide a visual rest for a moment, and I tend to use them as mnemonic device in long threads to remember the area where I last left off reading.

Last edited by Xanthe; 10-12-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
But how many times does anyone really visit a user's page, other than thanking them for karma? That sort of defeats the purpose of listing the devices - if you use the section like I do, which is a) to check to see if the poster actually has the device under discussion in the thread, and b) to see which devices people are using that I don't have and which I might like.

Maybe a dedicated line or two above/below the signature area under the post would provide more space to list the devices without creating as much blank space, if that's actually an issue for the site administrators? Though large avatar images seem to create just as much blank space in posts as full Device listings. I actually don't mind the blank spaces; sometimes they just provide a visual rest for a moment, and I tend to use them as mnemonic device in long threads to remember the area where I last left off reading.
Since I'm not constantly needing to look at things like the device lists, karma, avatars, ... I don't really see the need to constantly display them. They are usually noise to me. Imo, add an option on what to display, or remove them.

I really don't want to have to scroll through pages and pages of mgmueller's device list every time he posts in a thread.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why not put your Primary devices there and list the rest in your Sig section?
Hitch, you are the exception , all your devices are probably Primary
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

As are the majority of mine, with the exception of the eBM 911.