Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Post Kindle Store Science Fiction & Fantasy Scorecard

This effort is an attempt to rank kindle store by both quality and availability for SF and Fantasy fans. The attached excel spreadsheet has links to locate an individual book in the kindle store for you.

The score is computed as a % of total Philip K Dick, Nebula, Hugo, Clarke, Locus, and World Fantasy awarded books (winners, short-list nominations) that are found in the store. There are 643 books in the spreadsheet to date.

For the curious, I have also ranked the authors with the following formula: +2 for every win, +1 for every short-list nomination. Here are the top 15 along with their score (novels category only).

20 Lois McMaster Bujold
20 Robert A. Heinlein
19 Robert Silverberg
14 Gene Wolfe
14 Orson Scott Card
13 David Brin
13 Ursula K. Le Guin
12 Isaac Asimov
12 Joe Haldeman
12 Poul Anderson
12 Robert J. Sawyer
11 Arthur C. Clarke
11 Connie Willis
11 Frederik Pohl
11 Greg Bear

Enjoy!

Score as of May 1 2010
32%

Trend: UP!

(note attachment is old)

-d
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookAwardTracker.zip (260.9 KB, 498 views)

Last edited by dugbug; 05-01-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Monthly update/attached spreadsheet
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Great job, dugbug!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Kindle books (from Amazon) tend to be weighted towards recent (as in the past five years) as well. If you updated the list to be "SFF books published in the last decade" it'd get a much higher score. I realize that it might not then be weighted toward what you want to actually read, but the books all tend to be the newer ones, with older stiff coming on line slower (and in a pretty random fashion, IMO).
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

This month was a slow one. I won't bother uploading a new spreadsheet. There were four new additions to the kindle store from the awards list:

"A Deepness in the Sky" by Vernor Vinge
"Redshift Rendezvous" by John E. Stith
"The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood (you may recall the movie)
"Glory Road" by Robert A. Heinlein

enjoy
-d
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
Great effort! I appreciate it very much as SciFi is what I normally read.
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
dugbug
Addict

Uploaded a new spreadsheet. There were threenew additions to the kindle store from the awards list:

"The Accidental Time Machine" by Joe Haldeman (the first Haldeman book from the list to be kindleized)
"Cosmonaut Keep" by Ken MacLeod
"A Plague of Demons" by Keith Laumer

Im pretty stoked about the Haldeman book.

enjoy
-d
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sony vs. Amazon: Pitiful

Thanks again, dugbug. I really like that you do this. I took your list of books and searched for them at the Sony store as a comparison (see attached spreadsheet). Of the 437 titles, Sony have 73 of them (16.7%) compared to Amazon who have 109 of them (25.0%). As a Sony Reader owner, I find that really irritating. I know that some authors and publishers are slow to coming around to ebooks. But if Amazon has a title for sale for the Kindle, then the author and publisher have come around. So Sony should have every single title that Amazon has. But they don't. Sony is just being lazy and it's really starting to tick me off.
Attached Files
File Type: rar BookAwardTrackerForSonyReader.rar (25.6 KB, 537 views)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
dugbug
Addict

Hey thanks for the Sony update. I'll incorporate it so we have one for both stores.

I know they (sony) have been behind. At least the publishers are slowly moving in the right direction
Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"A Plague of Demons" is available from Baen in both Mobi and LRF.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
dugbug
Addict

thanks for the feedback everyone.

Sep update:
only one book (so I won't bother uploading the xls), but its a whopper:

Dune (40th anniversary edition)

Enjoy
-d
Old 10-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
But if Amazon has a title for sale for the Kindle, then the author and publisher have come around. So Sony should have every single title that Amazon has. But they don't. Sony is just being lazy and it's really starting to tick me off.
There could be more to it than that. Could Amazon be negotiating exclusivity agreements, for example?
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by random50 View Post
There could be more to it than that. Could Amazon be negotiating exclusivity agreements, for example?
So far they've been pretty clear about which books are exclusives. I think Amazon being a book seller at the core was more aggressive in getting books in their digital format. Sony now seems ready to be more aggressive as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wonder what percentage Baen has, by comparison?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
BJWanlund
In eBook Heaven
BJWanlund is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone (owned), Kindle
I find this intriguing: I was looking for Star Trek & Star Wars books (hey, they're considered sci-fi!), and the only real SW books are the Legacy of the Force series and the New Jedi Order series, while the Star Trek books are absolutely insane, pretty much every Trek book ever written is on the Kindle Store!

BJ
BJWanlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I wonder what percentage Baen has, by comparison?
Very much smaller. Baen books, by and large, don't get award nominations. I think I recognized seven authors on the spreadsheet as being published by Baen.

The Nebula and World Fantasy awards are peer jury awards. The Hugos are more populist, but even among Hugos, the trend is more literary.

Baen has to content themselves with publishing popular books.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote