Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
For UK buyers - Argos says Kobo's are excluded

For any UK buyers of Kobo ereaders be careful if buying from Argos. I know people on this forum say they are returnable but I have been repeatedly told this week by email and by chat that the ereaders are Excluded.

Even if you buy online, where items are returnable within 14 days under the distance selling law, they expect Kobo ereaders to be returned still sealed.

Just be careful if you buy from Argos.

I'm disappointed as I'd like the new H20 but without the option of a return if I don't like it I'm not risking it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	129320  

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-07-2014 at 04:22 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Your dilemma is quite justified. Is that retailer the only choice, apart from Kobo, currently available in UK?
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxallday View Post
Your dilemma is quite justified. Is that retailer the only choice, apart from Kobo, currently available in UK?
At some point WHSmith will get them and they should have demo models in store so at least I can see what one looks like first, plus it's easier to argue with them in store if the screen is disappointing if they have a demo model to hand. Argos is just buying sight unseen, then if you get a problem arguing with the manager as to whether it's a fault or not. Other than that it's ordering direct from Kobo.

The problem with Argos is other members of this forum have been told the opposite of what I have been told, and I got the same thing in two emails and today on chat so really my post is a warning to just be careful.

Basicly if anyone buys an ereader from Argos, especially in store, if they have any reason to wish to return it it's going to be down to the managers discretion only.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-07-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If there's a fault, you have every right to return it, regardless of the shop trying to put a sealed/14 day limit on it.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/shops-responsibility

If you're talking about returning it just because you "don't like it"... that's what demo models are for.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Of course they are going to do this, many places do

Its to stop people that

Going on holiday next week so would like to do some reading
Buy ereader
After holiday take it back to shop and say they don't like it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If there's a fault, you have every right to return it, regardless of the shop trying to put a sealed/14 day limit on it.

If you're talking about returning it just because you "don't like it"... that's what demo models are for.
I agree, but at what point does a screen became faulty? I have returned Kindle Paperwhite 2s for having too yellow a screen, that's a Carta screen same as the H20.

Plus I have pin pricks on my Aura, they are very small and are outside the text space, would anyone accept that as a fault, when it doesn't affect the reading?

Also demo models would be lovely, Argos don't provide any.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Of course they are going to do this, many places do

Its to stop people that

Going on holiday next week so would like to do some reading
Buy ereader
After holiday take it back to shop and say they don't like it
Again, agreed, my issue with Argos is they don't seem to have a standard policy, it's very much who you talk to. Also the readers are not marked as Excluded on the website, and they are supposed to be so it's like they just don't know what policy to have. It's misleading to the consumer.

Personally I've never bought an ereader to take back after a holiday, and I have no knowledge of anyone ever doing it. That's far more dishonest and calculated than most consumers I think.

I just don't want to be saddled with a horrible screen.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Personally I've never bought an ereader to take back after a holiday, and I have no knowledge of anyone ever doing it. That's far more dishonest and calculated than most consumers I think.
I've been kinda amazed at what some people think is a perfectly normal way of doing business. I've heard people here talk about ordering two or three different devices at once, just so they can pick the one they like best and return the rest.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've been kinda amazed at what some people think is a perfectly normal way of doing business. I've heard people here talk about ordering two or three different devices at once, just so they can pick the one they like best and return the rest.
Unfortunately ereaders are quite subjective, what some people like, others hate, and what's a good screen for some is bad for others. If the ereaders that shipped were more consistent in their quality then maybe people wouldn't need to think like that.

Personally I have had far too many bad screens to risk buying an ereader sight unseen with no chance of return unless I can prove a faulty device.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #10
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
At some point WHSmith will get them and they should have demo models in store so at least I can see what one looks like first, plus it's easier to argue with them in store if the screen is disappointing if they have a demo model to hand. Argos is just buying sight unseen, then if you get a problem arguing with the manager as to whether it's a fault or not. Other than that it's ordering direct from Kobo.

The problem with Argos is other members of this forum have been told the opposite of what I have been told, and I got the same thing in two emails and today on chat so really my post is a warning to just be careful.

Basicly if anyone buys an ereader from Argos, especially in store, if they have any reason to wish to return it it's going to be down to the managers discretion only.
Then patience is a virtue indeed; best to wait it out and sort your misgivings personally

Quote:
No wonder businesses feel betrayed then, especially if such schemes are commonplace or more prevalent than what majority thinks, and their response to tighten the return policy is more than justified in that case.
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxallday View Post
Then patience is a virtue indeed; best to wait it out and sort your misgivings personally
Yes I'll be much more likely to buy one once I see one. I always remember being a little disappointed when I saw the HD so I need to be sure with the H20, see how much better the screen is.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

We're not talking about a fault, but about returning it because you don't like it. That is not a statutory right, unless you're buying online.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We're not talking about a fault, but about returning it because you don't like it. That is not a statutory right, unless you're buying online.
Even buying online Argos told me that want it back sealed.

My only issue with buying any ereader is the screen, my view of a faulty screen would be too much yellow, or variations in the colour, however I accept that I would have trouble convincing an Argos manager that my perfectly working yellow Kobo ereader was faulty, therefore I personally won't put myself in that potential position.

If the store has a demo model with a satisfactory screen then at least I could discuss with the manger if my screen looked different. For demo models I need to wait for WHSmith, Argos don't provide those.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My only issue with buying any ereader is the screen, my view of a faulty screen would be too much yellow, or variations in the colour, however I accept that I would have trouble convincing an Argos manager that my perfectly working yellow Kobo ereader was faulty, therefore I personally won't put myself in that potential position.
Perhaps best to stick to buying Kindles, in that case. I suspect that few other retailers would be so accommodating.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps best to stick to buying Kindles, in that case. I suspect that few other retailers would be so accommodating.
I have pre ordered the Kindle Voyage but I will keep an eye out on WHSmith, I bought my Aura in my local store and they were very good so that's where I will go once they get H20 demo models.

As I said at the beginning of this thread I only posted as a warning for anyone buying from Argos, just be sure before you purchase.