Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
school book ban reversal in Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...igh-school.ece
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
And in a related story, the number of patrons who had these titles on hold at Highland Park's public library has dropped back to normal after hitting all-time highs.

If you want to make young people curious about ideas, just try banning them. Free people read freely.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
And in a related story, the number of patrons who had these titles on hold at Highland Park's public library has dropped back to normal after hitting all-time highs.

If you want to make young people curious about ideas, just try banning them. Free people read freely.
That's what I was just thinking. Stephen King wrote about a book once that was banned from a school. The book was titled "Steelworks" or "Steelworkers" or something like that. A fiction novel about the men who work in that field. A high School kid checked it out of the school library. His mother read through part of the book, noted the language used (of the sort men in that field use according to Mr. King) and took it to the school board. The book was pulled (at least for a bit) but before it was a long list of checkouts took place. Before the school board got involved only one person had checked the book out. The student whose mother started the whole thing.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That's what I was just thinking. Stephen King wrote about a book once that was banned from a school. The book was titled "Steelworks" or "Steelworkers" or something like that. A fiction novel about the men who work in that field. A high School kid checked it out of the school library. His mother read through part of the book, noted the language used (of the sort men in that field use according to Mr. King) and took it to the school board. The book was pulled (at least for a bit) but before it was a long list of checkouts took place. Before the school board got involved only one person had checked the book out. The student whose mother started the whole thing.
The Streisand Effect (or does that term not apply here?). The effect in action: this little story makes me want to read the King book and may just be the next story I pick up
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredScribe View Post
The Streisand Effect (or does that term not apply here?). The effect in action: this little story makes me want to read the King book and may just be the next story I pick up
I'm not sure who wrote the book in question. Mr. King mentioned the story about it in (I think) Danse Macabre. I can't find the reference at the moment but I remember reading it in the past.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think the Grapes of Wrath is still banned in some Oklahoma public schools simply because it painted a realistic picture of OK during the dust bowl and depression days, and OK didn't like that reality.

In Texas, I'm surprised any book that mentions science isn't banned. Or for that matter, any book that dares to question fundamentalist Christian beliefs. They are so closed minded here. You would laugh or cry if you knew the crap they taught us in school in the 1960s and 1970s that they claimed was history! It was mostly highly embellished legend, and far from historical. Kind of like the Faux History Channel on TV.