Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Glompish
Glompish doesn't litterGlompish doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Arc 10HD
Notification bar freeze and eventual system UI crash (Arc 10HD)

Does anyone else have an issue with the notification bar starting to freeze up when its pulled down? It usually only happens to me the first time after changing between apps and/or system elements. For example, I'll switch from the launcher to running apps and the problem appears. It'll then work as normal until I press the home page or select an app, then it'll freeze again the first time its used.

It starts as a barely noticeable jerk, but after being left on/sleeping it gradually gets worse. After a day or so it gets so bad it freezes heavily before the System UI crashes and restarts each time the notification bar is used. The only way to fix it is to reboot, although it can be mitigated somewhat by using a task killer to stop running services, despite still having plenty of RAM left.

I originally thought it was due to my running a fairly heavily customised version of the stock ROM, but after experimenting the problem is still there when using the factory ROM, although it does seem to take more time before it gets as gummed up.

I'm fairly certain its a software issue (I'm leaning towards a bug in Kobo's SystemUI.apk) as all other programmes run fine, even demanding ones, but the only other person I know with an Arc 10HD says they don't have the same problem.

So - anyone else noticed this?

Edit: just noticed it only happens if I pull the bar below its resting position in one swipe. If I pull it down, let it drop into place by itself, then carry on pulling it's as smooth as it should be. Very weird.

Last edited by Glompish; 09-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Glompish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
protospam
protospam began at the beginning.

Device: Various
I just picked up this tablet a couple of weeks ago and I have this issue also. I haven't been able to isolate what might be causing it.
Are you using the stock kobo launcher?
protospam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
Glompish

Wow, taken a while for a reply on this to come up...

I'm using my own mildly modified version of a ROM given to me by a Kobo dev, which I assume to be the latest version of the firmware they've publically released. Issue happens to me with just that base ROM itself, it's not my modifications causing the problem.

I've just learned to avoid it by not pulling the bar down too far - consequently I haven't seen the problem in ages, but it's definitely still there.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Tuinpad
Tuinpad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo arc 10HD
@Glompish

What kind of rom did you get?
I'm hoping on a little upgrade (Android 4.4) because some apps required this.
Tuinpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
Glompish

It's still JB. I'm pretty sure it's just the latest stock ROM, I just tailored it a little and pulled out all the stock Kobo stuff. Link to it in this thread.

Pretty sure there's no way we'll be getting either KitKat or Lollipop, Kobo don't strike me as being that great at long tail support.
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
protospam
protospam began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Thanks for the link. Kobo only recommended factory reset which still didn't solve the issue, so wanted to start rooting around removing things. Good to have the Rom to fall back on in case I break the whole thing.
Seems like it's a dead end in terms of updates, which is a shame as it's not a terrible piece of equipment otherwise.
protospam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
Glompish

It's definitely an issue with their software somewhere. Unfortunately the system UI is pretty embedded, so you won't be able to remove or replace anything short of rewriting it.

Agree with you it's a good tablet, disappointing that not only are Kobo not really supporting it, but neither are ROM devs.