Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
AbPho
Connoisseur
AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.

Device: AuraHD, GloHD
new help to downgrade Aura HD firmware

My Aura HD upgraded to firmware v3.8.0 last night. I ran the sync command. I am new to eReaders in general and did not know what to expect when I did that. I wanted to see if I could sync my reading progress between two kobo devices.

I am running calibre v1.48 on an iMac with OSX v10.6 (Snow Leopard). I am warned that calibre does not recognize the firmware and that the database version is not currently supported.

I want to go back to firmware v3.3.0 because I know that worked with Calibre v1.48. I know how to downgrade the firmware by side loading the install files via the computer.

I want to know if I can circumvent the mandatory setup phase after the firmware is installed, which automatically downloads the latest firmware I get's my right back to v3.8.0.

Thanks for the help. The support here is pretty amazing.

Cheer!S
AbPho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All you need to do is with the device connected, click on the little arrow besides the Device icon and select Configure this device. Then, in the list of options on that screen ensure that Attempt to support newer firmware is selected.

This will allow calibre to work with the newer Kobo f/w.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
AbPho
Connoisseur
AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
All you need to do is with the device connected, click on the little arrow besides the Device icon and select Configure this device. Then, in the list of options on that screen ensure that Attempt to support newer firmware is selected.

This will allow calibre to work with the newer Kobo f/w.
Thanks PeterT. I saw that. But I wasn't sure it was a smart move...Is it perfectly safe? I'd hate to brick the new Aura HD somehow.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbPho View Post
Thanks PeterT. I saw that. But I wasn't sure it was a smart move...Is it perfectly safe? I'd hate to brick the new Aura HD somehow.
I've used that option to support new firmware on several occasions and, so far, I haven't had any problems.

Regards,
Davkd
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Its a totally safe option. I've been running with that option enabled since day 1, and have seen many more builds of Kobo f/w than most of you....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Also calibre is up to 2.1 nowadays which I've been using with no problem.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Also calibre is up to 2.1 nowadays which I've been using with no problem.
Unfortunately, Calibre 2.x on a Mac needs OSX 10.7+. Kovid has also stopped supporting Calibre 2.x on Windows XP since there are quite a few issues with QT5 and Windows XP that will probably never be resolved.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
AbPho
Connoisseur

Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
As PeterT said, it is perfectly safe. There have not been any changes in the firmware recently that needed changes in the driver beyond bumping the supported version numbers. And from memory, all changes so far have been extra function that did not prevent the existing driver from working safely.

I don't expect this to change any time soon. If it does, there will be a post with a warning in large red letters.

The only problem is new devices. Calibre 1.48 will not support the Aura H2O. I have a probable solution for that, but, I'm not going to do anything until someone who is stuck on 1.48 buys an Aura H2O. And by "stuck on", I mean can't upgrade because of the OS, not doesn't want to upgrade.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
AbPho
Connoisseur

I still have a question about downgrading the firmware. Purely academic and this time.

How do you prevent the kobo from automatically downloading the most current firmware during the setup phase?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I still have a question about downgrading the firmware. Purely academic and this time.

How do you prevent the kobo from automatically downloading the most current firmware during the setup phase?
never sync wirelessly or with the kobo desktop.

There is a patch you can use to disable that though. How it is implemented is not something I am familiar with.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
AbPho
Connoisseur

Thanks Jackastor. I'll look into that.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can't stop the firmware from being downloaded. The best you can do is prevent it from restarting and installing the firmware. If you use the desktop application to do the setup, before disconnecting remove the new firmware files. I haven't tried it with a WiFi setup, but you should be able to connect before the restart and remove the files.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #14
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unfortunately, Calibre 2.x on a Mac needs OSX 10.7+. Kovid has also stopped supporting Calibre 2.x on Windows XP since there are quite a few issues with QT5 and Windows XP that will probably never be resolved.

Regards,
David
Yep I see your point, that hadn't occurred to me
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
AbPho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can't stop the firmware from being downloaded. The best you can do is prevent it from restarting and installing the firmware. If you use the desktop application to do the setup, before disconnecting remove the new firmware files. I haven't tried it with a WiFi setup, but you should be able to connect before the restart and remove the files.
I tried this on the Kobo Touch last night. I had it connected to a PC running Kobo Desktop. Just before disconnecting the unit I deleted the KoboRoot.tgz file from the .kobo directory. But the unit performed a firmware upgrade regardless.

So this method does not work.