Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
ferretman
ferretman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
New to Calibre

Hi

Just started using Calibre. On the main interface I have adjusted the Title, Author(s), Date etc columns to my required size. This is fine, but every time I close the computer down, on restarting Calibre, it has returned to the default setting.

How do I save these settings once made, as I can't see any save function, only Restore Default Layout.

Thanks
ferretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretman View Post
Hi

Just started using Calibre. On the main interface I have adjusted the Title, Author(s), Date etc columns to my required size. This is fine, but every time I close the computer down, on restarting Calibre, it has returned to the default setting.

How do I save these settings once made, as I can't see any save function, only Restore Default Layout.

Thanks
usually: 1 of 2 things can cause this
1) you have 2 instances of Calibre running (eg 32bit and 64 bit), the last closed saves positions.

2) you have a permissions problem with your configuration folder that prevents (I would expect ALL calibre UI ) settings being saved.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
usually: 1 of 2 things can cause this
1) you have 2 instances of Calibre running (eg 32bit and 64 bit), the last closed saves positions.

2) you have a permissions problem with your configuration folder that prevents (I would expect ALL calibre UI ) settings being saved.
@theducks - re 1 - by design you can only run the one instance of calibre at a time, and by default the 32 and 64 bit versions share the same config data.

@ferretman - Calibre does not have a "Save Layout" feature as such, it saves the current state on exit and restarts with it.

I think the layout data (window sizes, column widths etc) is written to gui.py and/or gui.json in the config folder when the program is closed. If you watch the modify dates on those files while you start calibre, change something and exit calibre then the modify dates should change.

If not then - why not? Ensure they are not read only and they are not permission restricted, although I would expect either of those conditions to generate some sort of error.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
Paulie_D
Connoisseur
Paulie_D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Tab 4
Possible similar /related issue

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244861
Paulie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:58 AM   #5
ferretman
ferretman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thanks Paulie_D
Seems very similar, will follow it up

Cheers
ferretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretman View Post

On the main interface I have adjusted the Title, Author(s), Date etc columns to my required size. This is fine, but every time I close the computer down, on restarting Calibre, it has returned to the default setting.
Unfortunately, I am now experiencing this issue after the most recent update (2.1).

I've tried the solutions mentioned above (and in the other thread) but the issue persists.

All the other main interface adjustments, toolbars and which columns are displayed are retained but not the widths.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_D View Post
All the other main interface adjustments, toolbars and which columns are displayed are retained but not the widths.
Known bug in 2.1. Will be fixed next week
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Known bug in 2.1. Will be fixed next week
Aha...thanks.