Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Nook ST, Nook Color, Sony PRST1
Best OCR error I've seen yet

I'm in the home stretch reading the epub of Will & Ariel Durant's Rousseau and Revolution, volume X of The Story of Civilization. Earlier today, I encountered this unforgettable sentence:
Quote:
The Journal de Farts, the first French daily, began publication in 1777; the more famous Moniteur did not appear till November 24, 1789.
I still have all the doorstop pbooks of The Story of Civilization on my shelf from decades ago - this had to be checked. That's supposed to be Journal de Paris
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell V8Pro; Asus Zenpad S8; Onyx Boox T68; Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I'm in the home stretch reading the epub of Will & Ariel Durant's Rousseau and Revolution, volume X of The Story of Civilization. Earlier today, I encountered this unforgettable sentence:

I still have all the doorstop pbooks of The Story of Civilization on my shelf from decades ago - this had to be checked. That's supposed to be Journal de Paris

I wonder how they got the "Farts" in there. It doesn't even remotely look like "Paris"!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

I wonder how they got the "Farts" in there. It doesn't even remotely look like "Paris"!
Actually, it does. The 'P' mutated into an 'F' and the 'i' became a 't'. Both rather easy to do.

But the result is rather hilarious, I admit
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Actually, it does. The 'P' mutated into an 'F' and the 'i' became a 't'. Both rather easy to do.

But the result is rather hilarious, I admit
The "i" could've been read as lower-case "l" or "f" and the spell-checker taken it to the nearest known word.

Spell-checkers: can't live without 'em, shouldn't live with 'em.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder if anybody actually reads these books before pressing the 'publish' button?
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Proofing and reading are actually two almost separate activities. I read for proofing my own OCRs since I catch more mistakes, but I don't think that is how a pro does it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think a book like this is especially prone to errors and difficult to proofread because it's huge (1700 ADE pages) and, although written in English, it contains a lot of foreign (mostly French) phrases, names, titles, etc.

There were other errors, none as funny as this. For example, at one place, "Ile" (AKA "Isle") was rendered as "He"
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Only to mention, to fart, in French, is vesser. The Parisian hypothetical Journal de Farts would translate as News of Wax.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Hey, I bought and scanned all those books too! But I haven't OCR'd them yet...
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Xperia, K3, Nook, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet
The French for fart is actually péter (verb) or pet (noun). There is a pastry or cake known as pet de nonne (nun's fart) Yes, really. It's a sort of light doughnut.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The "i" could've been read as lower-case "l" or "f" and the spell-checker taken it to the nearest known word.

Spell-checkers: can't live without 'em, shouldn't live with 'em.
Spell checkers: trust, but verify.

And, remember, it's better to be a smart feller...
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #12
svenlind
Addict
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Mini 5, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 3
When you are in a moving elevator in Denmark there is a little sign that says "I fart". That's Danish for In movement.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
When you are in a moving elevator in Denmark there is a little sign that says "I fart". That's Danish for In movement.
Yeah, that is what causes the sound all right...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Section8
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Hey, I bought and scanned all those books too! But I haven't OCR'd them yet...
I got the entire set of pbooks in the 70s, for joining the Book of the Month Club & have been working my way thru them over the years since. The bindings weren't very good - the last couple of pbooks I read just started falling apart. So I bought the last 2 volumes as epubs when they were released. The epubs are actually pretty well formatted - but I guess OCR errors get through. The baffling thing is that the word "Paris" must occur in this book hundreds of times, but was OCRed as "farts" only once.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
anus instead of arms always makes me smile. It's so common it has to be deliberate on the part of OCR program coders.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humorous ocr, ocr errors