Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
ZeroAlligator
ZeroAlligator began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thumbs up 64gb MicroSD - WORKS

I've seen several questions about the compatibility of the 64GB microSD cards in the KOBO readers - I figured I'd post the success I've had so that others may purchase these cards with confidence.

I purchased a Sandisk 64GB MicroSD (SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-064G-U46A) from Amazon a few days ago and gave it a try this morning. The native exFat formatting was not readable by my Kobo Aura (New Kobo, not the HD.) I attempted to reformat the card to FAT32, but windows would not allow me to do so. I downloaded a 3rd party FAT32 format tool (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm) and reformatted the card to FAT32. The card booted right up when inserted into my reader, and I've been using it all day without problems.

So as long as it is reformatted to FAT32, there is no problem with using these larger cards. Take care.

-Mark
ZeroAlligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Swagger200
Swagger200 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroAlligator View Post
I've seen several questions about the compatibility of the 64GB microSD cards in the KOBO readers - I figured I'd post the success I've had so that others may purchase these cards with confidence.

I purchased a Sandisk 64GB MicroSD (SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-064G-U46A) from Amazon a few days ago and gave it a try this morning. The native exFat formatting was not readable by my Kobo Aura (New Kobo, not the HD.) I attempted to reformat the card to FAT32, but windows would not allow me to do so. I downloaded a 3rd party FAT32 format tool (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm) and reformatted the card to FAT32. The card booted right up when inserted into my reader, and I've been using it all day without problems.

So as long as it is reformatted to FAT32, there is no problem with using these larger cards. Take care.

-Mark
I had success using the approach above with a Sandisk Ultra 128gb MicroSD card. The device was somewhat unstable after I installed the card, but I put it through a Factory Reset and after that it has been fine. I estimate that I can hold about 20,000 books with this capacity.

I also notice that new Kobo firmware allows for Pocket articles to be written to the MicroSD after main memory is full. It used to write them to main memory only.
Swagger200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert