Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
ON/OFF switch trouble

Is anybody else experiencing this?

My Iliad's on/off switch has taken to being a little bit lax in responding. Sometimes I have to switch it three or four times to turn the device on or off. It's nothing major, but mildly annoying right now.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post

My Iliad's on/off switch has taken to being a little bit lax in responding. Sometimes I have to switch it three or four times to turn the device on or off. It's nothing major, but mildly annoying right now.
3-4 times. This is not nice.
Maybe you should try Shutdown & Reboot Control for Contentlister.

[EDIT:] At least the shell scripts could help to turn it off. Turning on is another story.

Last edited by yokos; 05-20-2008 at 09:55 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:

Probably a dumb suggestion but... Have you tried keeping it "depressed" (until something happens) instead of just flicking it?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:

Mine does the exact same thing. Sometimes nothing happens, other times the green light kind of flickers and then goes out. After a couple tries it powers up/down fine though.

I wonder if something internally with the slider switch is wearing out or maybe gotten loose?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Probably a dumb suggestion but... Have you tried keeping it "depressed" (until something happens) instead of just flicking it?
I don't just flick it and let go, normally I slide it and hold it for a second. When it "works" the green light comes on and stays on solid. That's what I usually interpret as it starting up correctly and then I let go of the switch. When it "doesn't work" the green light either does not come on or else it just kind of flickers. I don't normally hold the switch "depressed" for more than a second or so though. When the light doesn't respond or flickers within that time, I'll relese the switch and try again. Maybe if I just keep holding the switch for longer it'll respond?
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
same problems here, i sometimes need 2 or 3 "tries" to turn it off. And holding the button won't help.

But yet at the third time it always responded.

I don't know if its a hardware issue with the switch, or the software is not "getting" it.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a worn out contact...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Sounds like a worn out contact...
Which means that all those of us who are out of warranty only have to whip out their trusty Torx screwdrivers, take the back plate off, bend/glue/replace the contact and we're good, right? Right? RIGHT?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

That was my plan, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
Which means that all those of us who are out of warranty only have to whip out their trusty Torx screwdrivers, take the back plate off, bend/glue/replace the contact and we're good, right? Right? RIGHT?
Unless the switch is enclosed in its own casing, right.
Haven't seen it dismantled, but i suspect bending the spring a bit that pulls the switch back could help too.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Mines always been like that. I don't think it's anything wearing out.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Just wanted to report that I've been playing around with the switch to try and figure out what's going on. One thing I've noticed is that if I quickly move the switch 100% of the way across, it behaves as has been noted on here. Sometimes the device comes on, other times it doesn't. I've discovered that if I only move the switch about 80% of the way, it triggers startup/shutdown every time.

It seems like moving the switch all the way across is actually going a little bit past the point where it triggers. Moving it slowly until the light comes on, aiming for about 80% rather than 100% seems to have made the behavior of the switch a lot more reliable.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
lowmagnet
lowmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, mine does that too.. often a position in the middle does it for me. I'm concerned that there will be a point where it stops working altogether and I'll have to replace the switch with something more robust.

Add to that the rubberized layer coming off and the page flip lever getting stuck and jumping 5 pages instead of one, plus the SD slot locking up the device when any pressure is put on it, and the iliad has some serious hardware issues.

Also, italics format for the whole page on mobipocket content when i first turn the device on. Books with illustrations re-format mid-stream and i have to go back 2 pages for every one forward.

I'm not very happy a year on with this device, but it still works around its 'quirks'.
lowmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
ce3po
ce3po doesn't litterce3po doesn't litter

Device: iRex Iliad v2 / Palm Zire 72
My Iliad have to three times for turn on, but one time for turn off.
ce3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The problem for me had gotten so bad, my iLiad wouldn't respond to the power switch at all.

It turns out my problem wasn't in the switch itself, but the plastic slider that you push with your thumb. It wasn't allowing the switch to slide over far enough to activate. I took my iLiad apart, shaved a bit of plastic off of the slider, and it now works like new. Opening your iLiad isn't for the faint of heart, but my iLiad went from almost unusable to working the first time every time.

Now that I have my iLiad together, I realize I should have taken pictures, but I'm attaching a diagram to demonstrate. Excuse my mad gimp skillz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	17424  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote