Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
How do you buy an updated kindle book?

Recently I found that a book that I've bought from Kindle has a new edition. I'm probably not entitled to get this update for free. I've tried redownloading the book from the cloud, but all I got was the same older book.

I'm just wondering how I could buy the new edition.

On the top of the product page on Amazon are these words: "Instant Order Update for xx. You purchased this item on xxxx". Even though I don't own the new edition, these words sit on top of the product page of the *new* edition.

If I do the 1-click thing, will I be getting another copy of the old edition?

This is the 2013 edition, but I have the 2012 edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Berkshire-Hath...dp/B00DUM1W3E/
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Did you go to "Manage Your Content & Devices" and see if there is an update available? Might be worth a try.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Recently I found that a book that I've bought from Kindle has a new edition. I'm probably not entitled to get this update for free. I've tried redownloading the book from the cloud, but all I got was the same older book.
A publisher updated one of my Kindle books. I got a notification but, by the time I saw it, the book was already updated. Now I remember. There is a setting in Manage Your Content & Devices -- under the Settings Tab (in the new view), there is an automatic Book Update toggle. I had to turn that on. You might want to check to see if yours' is off.

And, crud, checking my Manage My Content ..., I see they've just changed my view to the new one. I liked the old view. Ah well, I'll get used to it. I don't like a lot of the new web pages -- everything seems to be so spread out and BIG, which requires a lot of extra scrolling -- it's probably so it'll work better with tablets. (Grumble, grumble.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Personally I do not like the auto update, I like to know which books are being updated since I keep copies of all my purchases offline. Anyhow, with the auto update turned off, if you do not get the email stating there is an update available, on the Manage your Content page there is a dropdown box that will list Updates if there are any available. It will bring up the books with updates available, once you select the option to update the book, it will update it and send the new copy to your device.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I think the publisher is not giving away the updated ebook for free, perhaps for the reason that new materials have been added. I have the auto-update on, and I'm not receiving the new edition. I've also deleted the ebook on my device and re-downloaded it, but no joy.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I had the same problem once. There was no update available in "Manage My Kindle". I contacted the customer service and they sent me the updated book within 5 minutes.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I think you need to verify/clarify whether you are dealing with an update or a new edition. If I understand correctly, updates (which only apply to ebooks) mostly involve making corrections (typos, factual errors, etc.), much akin to a patch or service pack that is issued for a piece of software to resolve bugs. A new edition (2nd edition, 3rd edition etc.) typically contains substantial new content and is treated as a new book. If years ago, you purchased the 3rd edition of the American Heritage Dictionary, you would not expect to receive the 4th or 5th editions for free, nor would you typically even get a discount on them. They are treated a separate books altogether.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I think you need to verify/clarify whether you are dealing with an update or a new edition. If I understand correctly, updates (which only apply to ebooks) mostly involve making corrections (typos, factual errors, etc.), much akin to a patch or service pack that is issued for a piece of software to resolve bugs. A new edition (2nd edition, 3rd edition etc.) typically contains substantial new content and is treated as a new book. If years ago, you purchased the 3rd edition of the American Heritage Dictionary, you would not expect to receive the 4th or 5th editions for free, nor would you typically even get a discount on them. They are treated a separate books altogether.
But, if it was properly posted by the publisher as a new edition then the OP wouldn't be getting the "already purchased" banner, it would have been posted as an entirely new book with a different ASIN.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #9
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I had the same problem once. There was no update available in "Manage My Kindle". I contacted the customer service and they sent me the updated book within 5 minutes.
I just tried that with a book I had bought and which had been updated in the meantime. I thought I was going to have to buy it again, but CS updated the content and now I have the updated version. I also had the info on top of the page that I already own this book.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
A new edition (2nd edition, 3rd edition etc.) typically contains substantial new content and is treated as a new book.
Sometimes, even if they add quite a bit of new material, they'll update for free. I bought a multi-book author's collection -- saw that the publisher had added two more books to the collection -- and then realized that my book had already been updated.

But it can also be a pain. I had downloaded some short story magazines from the same publisher -- several issues of a few different titles. Later on they decided to rename all their titles (which seemingly random names) and all my collection had these new names and I had no idea which was which. (The old names where eSciFi, eFantasy, eSteamPunk, eNoir, etc. Now they're PRIMER, New Realm, Nebula Rift and Heater. The covers still have the old titles. It's a mess -- but a bigger mess is the new Amazon Manage My Content ... view. SLOW and ugly. I wish these computer dweebs with just quit messing with the interface.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
A publisher updated one of my Kindle books. I got a notification but, by the time I saw it, the book was already updated. Now I remember. There is a setting in Manage Your Content & Devices -- under the Settings Tab (in the new view), there is an automatic Book Update toggle. I had to turn that on. You might want to check to see if yours' is off.

And, crud, checking my Manage My Content ..., I see they've just changed my view to the new one. I liked the old view. Ah well, I'll get used to it. I don't like a lot of the new web pages -- everything seems to be so spread out and BIG, which requires a lot of extra scrolling -- it's probably so it'll work better with tablets. (Grumble, grumble.)
A gave up on that long ago, even before the knew layout - it's not even mobile friendly (small buttons). instead i use the kindle cloud (10gb?), which has long awaited features select all, folders, personal azw3 in the cloud, labeled books not personal docs!! don't put them in the personal docs folder. put them in the books folder.

Last edited by user743; 06-11-2014 at 10:22 AM.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I think the publisher is not giving away the updated ebook for free, perhaps for the reason that new materials have been added. I have the auto-update on, and I'm not receiving the new edition. I've also deleted the ebook on my device and re-downloaded it, but no joy.
Did you ever call Amazon Customer Service? Typically the updates you get for free are things like typo corrections. You would have to buy a new edition of the book. But if it's not letting you do that, call CS and maybe they'll give to you free anyway.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote