Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Question What good are friends?

Yeah, anyway. What good are friends???

No, I'm not actually going suicidal on ya, or anything. I just want to know what the "friends" option is for, in my user control panel. It's awfully NICE to have a whole collection of avatars who are my friends ...... but is there any other underlying purpose?

Clueless, but thankfully, not friendless!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
A friend in need's a friend indeed.
A friend with weed is better!

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find it convenient to go to my profile and just click on a "Friend" if I want to PM them, or make a public comment on their profile page, or carry on an off-thread conversation that doesn't require privacy (and, in fact, browsing those conversations-in-public sometimes has me "interject", or be interjected). I can track down messages of theirs, or threads they've started.

All of this can likely be done in other places (Like "Search"), but I find it convenient to have the central place.

Not to mention it helps no-end when trying to organise the seating arrangements at one of my soirées (ironically, a refusal of my friendship guarantees attendance [licks lips and looks to menu revisions]).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah, anyway. What good are friends???

No, I'm not actually going suicidal on ya, or anything. I just want to know what the "friends" option is for, in my user control panel. It's awfully NICE to have a whole collection of avatars who are my friends ...... but is there any other underlying purpose?

Clueless, but thankfully, not friendless!!
And there was me there thinking , I'd like to have badgoodDeb as a friend ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
This forum, no big secret, runs on vBulletin software. Great forum software, very customizable. Forums have predominantly been centered around technical discussions, but in the last few years have seen an explosion. That explosion has resulted in what I call the "Web 2.0 fanboys" or better yet, "MySpacers", joining forums.

They want "social" features, so they can compete for having most or kewlest friends, the highest Karma, the most awesome albums.

So, vBulletin and the vBulletin third-party development community have responded by adding social networking features to the software.

These features really don't "do" anything other than appeal to the MySpacers, but since we have them, we can put them to our own good uses as we see fit.

Will you be my friend?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
This forum, no big secret, runs on vBulletin software. Great forum software, very customizable. Forums have predominantly been centered around technical discussions, but in the last few years have seen an explosion. That explosion has resulted in what I call the "Web 2.0 fanboys" or better yet, "MySpacers", joining forums.

They want "social" features, so they can compete for having most or kewlest friends, the highest Karma, the most awesome albums.

So, vBulletin and the vBulletin third-party development community have responded by adding social networking features to the software.

These features really don't "do" anything other than appeal to the MySpacers, but since we have them, we can put them to our own good uses as we see fit.

Will you be my friend?
That was one hell of a chat-up-line ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Ladies love logorrhea.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Will you be my friend?
That depends. Are you a marsupial?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As I remember from the old days ...
* A friend in need is a pest.
* The best way to get rid of a friend is to loan them money.
* With friends like these who needs enemies.

Or the every popular Arlo Guthrie song lyric:
I had a friend
A friend I could trust
He went into the park and got busted
Doing the Ring-around-the-rosey rag.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
* The best way to get rid of a friend is to loan them money.
Man, I so resemble that remark. Life lesson learned. (Although I would NEVER give up the imunity necklace no matter what you said to me.)

BOb
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
A friend in need's a friend indeed.
A friend with weed is better!

I do not want my friends bringing over weeds. I don't like crabgrass.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Better weeds than Fireants. You know when you neighboor treats for fireants they are going to come your your nice, poison free lawn.

Of course, the best way to get rid of misquitos and other flying pests is to buy each of your next door neighboors a bug lamp.

BOb
Old 05-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
And there was me there thinking , I'd like to have badgoodDeb as a friend ...
Why thank you! I'd love to have tons and tons of friends. It makes me feel loved.

Having never been into the MySpace thing, I might as well collect friends here. I love the verbiage tossed wantonly around here. On wontonly, occasionally.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That was one hell of a chat-up-line ...
Yeah, it was, wasn't it??! And considering that I've been lustfully chasing after his avatar anyway (he's so cuuuuuute!! ) I guess I'd better take him up on the offer.

And yes, it's his logorrhea that I'm smitten with. Not so much the type I saw elsewhere today --- 6 inches long on the page, with nary a breath for air --- but the pithy haiku (kaibun? was it) type. Yeah.......
Old 05-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about dandelions? My brother used to object to the negativity heaped upon the poor little yellow flowers -- he thought of them as freckles on a lawn. (He had freckles himself). Now that he has his own lawn, I should ask if that is still his opinion of them.