Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
How to upgrade jailbreak to 5.4.3.1 if already jailbroken version before that?

The title say it all. What is the process of going about this? Can I just install the new FW and still have the jailbreak in place? And would I need to install KUAL again?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@readandread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Q. My hacks suddenly failed to work properly, how come? (aka. What happens if I get an OTA update?)

A. Since FW 5.3.x, official updates (OTA or not, actually) are complete updates, overwriting the complete main system. This has the side effect of breaking a lot of custom hacks. For instance, you'll have to reinstall MKK for sure, along with most full hacks that touch the system, whereas simple KUAL extensions should survive the process .
On a sidenote, FW updates are usually a game of cat and mouse, so do make sure you check the forums to see if the hacks you care about will actually *work* on a new FW version before updating .
A couple of other notes:

The JB itself survives the process (so far). In the very specific case of the PW1, when updating from something earlier than 5.4.x to something >= 5.4.x, you'll additionally have to make sure you're using a recent JB version (if you're usure of the JB version you're using, by reinstalling it, either before of after the official update).

Don't confuse the official FW versioning scheme with the Jailbreak's.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-24-2014 at 07:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx, so that means I can just install the current Amazon FW on my PW2 and there shouldn't be any problems as I don't have a PW1, right?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Besides the usual 'wipes (nearly) every hack', nope, nothing special.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
readandread
Zealot

Ah, glad I asked. What do you mean with "wipes"?
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
Ah, glad I asked. What do you mean with "wipes"?
Replaced by a system image without the hacks installed.

Functionally equivalent to "deletes".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
readandread
Zealot

So appartently the JB does not survive the FW update. I guess I have to reinstall the JB...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yes it does.

(New record: quoting #2 on #8 of the same thread. Yay?).
Old 04-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yes it does.

(New record: quoting #2 on #8 of the same thread. Yay?).
Ah, come on now - -
Your a moderator, can't you put a page-break between the answer and the question?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote