Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question how do I send epub to Kindle fire

I want to send some epubs via usb in order to try out epub reader apps.

what do I have to tweak - ( because calibre is only willing to send mobi / azw3 conversions to the KF ) if I say don't auto convert then it send nothing.

I've also had a couple of "calibre has stopped workign" after conenctint he KF - very unusual for me to see calibre crash. and a couple of device comm erros. Not sure if that's because KF has to be in a certain state before connecting the USB cable - e.g. on ? or maybe OFF ?

or maybe calibre does not like ejecting the KObo & then being expected to recognise the KF, without an in-between restart ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

anyone?

I'm sure there;s a default preference or profile somewhere that says to only send mobi/Azw3 formats to Kindle Fire, which I should be able to find and tweak, but no joy in finding it.

where does calibre store info about what formats it's allowed to send to what devices ?
Advert
Old 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The device driver for each device type is configurable for the formats to be used.

The easiest way is to connect your device, and then right-click the send to device icon on the toolbar and select the option to configure the device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard

OK thanks.

I was trying to puzzle it out without having any device connected
Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

update, ok so after tweaking, calibre willl now send epub if it has no azw3.

but as a general send to device rule:
is there any way to send 2 formats, if i both are in the library and on the device list ?

A quick test suggests that it only sends which ever one matching format is first on its preference list ?. I can live with that, I am just trying to get my head around the logic rules & options
Advert
Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
OK thanks.

I was trying to puzzle it out without having any device connected
You can do the same without the device in Preferences:Plugins
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
yeah, double click on the kindle fire plugin under device interface plugins in the plugins area of the preferances, add epub by ticking it
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe all smartphone/tablet connections are maintained by the MTP devices plugin, including the Kindle Fire. MTP plugin devices cannot be configured under Preferences ==> Plugins, you must attach the device.

Or edit the config files, of course.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
yeah, double click on the kindle fire plugin under device interface plugins in the plugins area of the preferences, add epub by ticking it
i got as far as finding the plugins, before asking, but I mistakenly tried output profile plugins not device interface plugins ;
then when I selected Kindle Fire plug in by Kovid & clicked "customise" I was told that " this plug in does not need customising" So I gave up at that point
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i got as far as finding the plugins, before asking, but I mistakenly tried output profile plugins not device interface plugins ;
then when I selected Kindle Fire plug in by Kovid & clicked "customise" I was told that " this plug in does not need customising" So I gave up at that point
Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Fire uses the MTP Devices plugin, which cannot be customized until you plug in the device.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Fire 1 uses the Fire plugin, all later models of Fire use the MTP plugin.

The canonical way to customize a device's preferences, for all devices, is to right click the device icon once it has connected.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Kovid, thanks for clarifying.

BTW, why aren't you able to select a previously-configured, unconnected MTP Device and edit anyway? Just curious, though; it doesn't really bother me.