Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
How can I stop Calibre from resizing cover images?

I've looked in the settings, but didn't find the answer. When I add a cover image in Edit Metadata, I put in the size image I want (for my own books, at least). But Calibre always resizes it, for reasons I don't quite understand.

Most of the online distributors such as KDP, Nook, and Apple want cover images with a width of 1400 pixels or more. When I put that into a book in Calibre, I always end up with a slightly smaller image.

Is there a checkbox I'm missing that tells Calibre to leave the cover size alone?

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jeffrey
I know of 2 general settings that affect picture sizes:

Device Profile (in and out): Tablet is for big images

preferences: tweaks: # The maximum width and height for covers saved in the calibre library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, thanks! I changed the default maximum cover size from 1450,2000 to 1450,2100 and tested it. That seems to solve the problem.

I wonder, though, if the default setting isn't out of date. 1400x2100 seems to have emerged as the new minimum standard in most outlets. If anyone at Calibre is listening, do you think you might change that, to save others the frustration? I know I would never have found this if I hadn't asked here.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Ah, thanks! I changed the default maximum cover size from 1450,2000 to 1450,2100 and tested it. That seems to solve the problem.

I wonder, though, if the default setting isn't out of date. 1400x2100 seems to have emerged as the new minimum standard in most outlets. If anyone at Calibre is listening, do you think you might change that, to save others the frustration? I know I would never have found this if I hadn't asked here.

Jeff
I use a REAL e-book reader, my standard is (reduced to) 316x450 which is good enough for me. I view on 5 and 6" screens. IMHO no need for huge image files

Kovid can do what he wants
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Not only is there no need for huge image files, huge image files are terrible beasts that take up valuable space and prevent us from storing our full complement of 15 years reading material on one device at one time!

Whatever shall we do?!?!?!

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The current value for that tweak is

maximum_cover_size = (1450, 2000)

If you had a smaller value, that will be because you edited some tweaks in the past (editing a tweak causes the default value of all tweaks to be copied into the custom tweaks file, so updates to tweak defaults do not change values for people that have edited tweaks).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The current value for that tweak is

maximum_cover_size = (1450, 2000)

If you had a smaller value, that will be because you edited some tweaks in the past (editing a tweak causes the default value of all tweaks to be copied into the custom tweaks file, so updates to tweak defaults do not change values for people that have edited tweaks).
Right, that was the value I found when I looked. But the current standard cover size for anyone publishing in places like Kindle and SW and Nook is 1400,2100 or larger which makes the default just a hair too small in the vertical dimension. (It's also just off from the 2x3 aspect ratio that is most common.)

I'm just suggesting that you increase the default height limit to at least 2100, so people trying to generate books to the required minimum don't keep having their covers downsized.

I'm not advocating huge cover images, but that's what the market is demanding. If anything, they're just going to get bigger, as higher and higher res screens come out.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...f895cefbc334f2
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
AaronShep
Connoisseur
AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad
not well documented

I agree that the whole thing about image resizing should be made much more prominent. I almost missed it myself, since it's only mentioned obscurely in tool tips for the output profiles, not in the user manual at all. The only profile that is said not to involve resizing is "Tablet," which is stuck at the bottom of the list, where most people won't even see it, much less read the tooltip. I assumed that the default output profile would eliminate resizing, and I was shocked when I realized my error.

Ideally, there should be a checkbox option for resizing, so that people realize exactly what they're getting. Resizing without proper notification is something that MS Word does, and it's understandably one of the biggest criticisms of the program.
AaronShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:31 AM   #11
Timucin
Timucin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3 / Paperwhite 4
That was what I was looking for. Thank you dude.
Timucin is offline   Reply With Quote