Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goodreads reading progress updates on PW1?

Hi everyone,

A quick question- that I fear I know the answer to.

Is there a way to update reading progress with the new PW1 (5.4.4) goodreads integration? I can't find a method to do it at all.

I guess it's nice to have goodreads available on my device, but lack of auto reading progress updates is a glaring error on Amazon's part I feel. I suspect reading progress is one major use (along with reading goals) that goodreads users rely on. Guess it's back to manual updates.

Thanks for any and all suggestions/comments!! I'm jailbroken and side-load my books when possible. (which may turn off the above feature - which is why I mention it)

Big cheers to all here on the Kindle forum, as well as the Kindle Dev Corner!
AllenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
HeBuguM
HeBuguM doesn't litterHeBuguM doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
You got that right, you can't update your progress and that suck. Hope amazon will fix it soon!
HeBuguM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't you think there's a rather more important shortcoming than that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Ok, glad to hear I wasn't wrong and missing something, HeBuguM!

HarryT - Am I missing something?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenH View Post
HarryT - Am I missing something?
I'm referring to the fact that it's not available at all to anyone outside the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Personally I would not want automatic updates of reading progress. Anybody that might be following me would get spammed with update messages every time my Kindle synced. It would be bad etiquette.

GR is supposed to be a way to share your thoughts and observations about what you are reading. That cannot be automated.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Personally I would not want automatic updates of reading progress. Anybody that might be following me would get spammed with update messages every time my Kindle synced. It would be bad etiquette.

GR is supposed to be a way to share your thoughts and observations about what you are reading. That cannot be automated.
Automated updates to reading progress could just be left out of the feed and only displayed when somebody looks at your profile page.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
AllenH
Enthusiast

I agree with Tomsen- wouldn't want it to spam anyone. A simple "max update interval" setting of 1 day would be easy I think, or twowheel's method of no stream updates with progress. Although between my brother in law and myself, I like to see how he's going with books I'm interested in reading so I can bug him about what he thinks so far.

HarryT - that is poor form, I'm sorry to hear it. I will say this- it's mostly just a glorified website bookmark at this point. Without true integration it doesn't get us too far yet. However, the look-forward features etc., do appear nice- although I have just started using the new os.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
As a workaround, you can create a browser bookmark to your bookshelf on goodreads.com and use that to update progress (use the mobile website). Or create a mobi file with this link (and any others you want to use as bookmarks)—the bookmarks list is a bit inefficient.

I think goodreads.com is white-listed for 3g web access as well, for 3g paperwhites.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm referring to the fact that it's not available at all to anyone outside the US.
It's available to me, in The Netherlands, as far as I can see. I haven't tried to log in, because I don't use Goodreads, but I do have the G in the menu.

Isn't it the case that it is only available to people using an Amazon.com account?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
HeBuguM
HeBuguM doesn't litterHeBuguM doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It's available to me, in The Netherlands, as far as I can see. I haven't tried to log in, because I don't use Goodreads, but I do have the G in the menu.

Isn't it the case that it is only available to people using an Amazon.com account?
It's available to me too. I'm from Bulgaria. My Amazon and Goodreads profiles are set to Bulgaria too... I'm using Amazon.com acc, but amazon sites are connected aren't they? You can use same account on .com/.co.uk etc.

Maybe is related to where you bought it from, my is from US.
HeBuguM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Dankas
Dankas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyag/Paperwhite
I bought it in usa but my credit card is croatian, and i couldn't wait for auto update so i downloaded it on my own, but the whole idea of not being able to record progress is crazy. I wouldn't want automatic progress publishing, as you might be reading stuff you dont want ppl to know about ( i guess :-/) bit some sort of progress report is a must. Now i do have GR on kindle but still need my iphone to record progress, which is silly
Dankas is offline   Reply With Quote