Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Dropbox or Google Drive as library location

Hello all,

How does Calibre work if I want to have library's location to be set in either Dropbox or Google Drive? I have two computers located at different places and want to manage the same library from both. Is Calibre capable of working with shared library?
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@artug - you might want forget about using Google Drive see ===>>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205581

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Would Dropbox be OK then?
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Make sure you have sync turned off before you start calibre, and while you use calibre, and sync completely before you start calibre on another computer.

Calibre is a single user program and is only intended to be used on a local filesystem that isn't shared. But it seems that some successfully use calibre along with Dropbox and some other cloud sharing software.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
I've been using Dropbox for over twelve months as the repository of my Calibre Library without any problems, accessing from three different laptops and a tablet.

I have everything converted to epubs

I use Bluefire on the tablet to access the library.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Make sure you have sync turned off before you start calibre, and while you use calibre, and sync completely before you start calibre on another computer.

Calibre is a single user program and is only intended to be used on a local filesystem that isn't shared. But it seems that some successfully use calibre along with Dropbox and some other cloud sharing software.
I use Dropbox, and while I don't turn sync on and off as Adoby recommends, I am very careful to only have one computer running calibre at a time. It's been working for a couple of years now with no problems.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
Dankas
Dankas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyag/Paperwhite
In addition i have found that the sky Drive is much slower in syncing between the machines, but no problems whatsoever with dropbox
Dankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i send a backup my my library to dropbox - that in turn sends it to another PC when that is on

the worry that have with dropbox type programs , is that one wrong move e.g. deleting stuff when removing it from some other computer, or even jsut a server side glitch could lead to a loss of the cloud files.
So I would never trust it with my only copy of my books
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I prefer to sync copies of the library using a sync utility, instead of using a cloud service. Very fast if all the computers are in the same LAN.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I prefer to sync copies of the library using a sync utility, instead of using a cloud service. Very fast if all the computers are in the same LAN.
i use a sync program to copy to/update the local dropbox folder, then dropbox can upload to cloud, in its own time, for a final backup.

in theory, I think I could access dropbox mobile direct from my e-reader browser via wifi- & download a book from anywhere, but I've not tried that
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote