Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Help needed, please.

In the UK there is a special name for the small sections of fence made from woven wooden branches. I see these used when there are Sheep dog competitions, and the dogs are jumping over them. I assume they are used as moveable corral fences. What is the special name for these? It's been on the tip of my tongue since last night, and driving me nuts!
Thanks

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
kite444
kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.kite444 is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle4NT
Do you mean hurdles ?
kite444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite444 View Post
Do you mean hurdles ?
That...could... be... but.... now I'm not sure. Thanks for the input. Is there any other word for them that you can think of?

Stitchawl
Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Possibly a wattle hurdle.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Possibly a wattle hurdle.
The more I re-read 'hurdle,' the more I think that may have been the word I was looking for. But it still doesn't go 'clunk!' in my mind... More like tiptoe-ing around...
Are there any completely different words that you can think of?

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've never seen woven-branch fences used in sheepdog trials - only wooden gates/fences, usually painted white, like the ones here:

http://www.demotix.com/photo/1429559...rials-wales-uk

They're mostly just called gates and fences and pens, as far as I know. Here's a terminology page that might help - scroll down for the equipment terminology:

http://www.herding-dog-training-bord...g-terminology/

Unless you're talking about agility competitions, not sheepdog trials? That's a whole different barrel of monkeys.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Actually, I've never 'seen' them in dog competitions myself. This was something one of my UK ex-pat friends said when I asked him about the name. I've only seen them in TV or movies, being made by some character actor being interviewed by the Chief Inspector or a local constable.

Stitchawl
Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/rural-language/page-7
A dog-legged fence was made of sticks and branches held together by their own crookedness

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/rural-language/page-7
A dog-legged fence was made of sticks and branches held together by their own crookedness

Helen
Some good and interesting terms in this page as well, but none are striking the chord I'm looking for. So far, 'hurdle' is coming the closest. But that could be because of the running and jumping event too... Damn, I wish I knew what it was that's tickling the back of my brain!!

Stitchawl
Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Some good and interesting terms in this page as well, but none are striking the chord I'm looking for. So far, 'hurdle' is coming the closest. But that could be because of the running and jumping event too... Damn, I wish I knew what it was that's tickling the back of my brain!!

Stitchawl
You have TOTS! (Tip Of the Tongue Syndrome)
1. Stop thinking about it for a while.
2. Then, think or say aloud a sentence that includes the word - as it is used. Or pretend you are hearing someone use the word in a sentence while speaking to you - like a TV announcer.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 - this usually will bring the word to mind.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hurdles does seem to be correct. Sorry.
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
hedgerow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hedgerow.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	118782  
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thanks, folks... I do think 'hurdles' was the one I was looking for. But it still just doesn't 'feel' right...

Stitchawl