Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
nightslide
nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Calibre & Sony PRS-T1

Hi there, hoping someone can help.
I've noticed that using a Sony PRS-T1 and Calibre, once I connect it to the PC, transfer the books, everything is fine.
But several hours later, when I go to read the books, my Reader is completely dead. It seems like it's not 'releasing' the data transfer mode. Is there any way to do it other than to do a full shut down and restart of the Reader?

I have tried doing a safely remove from Windows 7, and that doesn't seem to make a difference. Using a Windows 7, 32-bit machine at work, and a Windows 7 64-bit one at home.

I'm not sure if it's an issue of the Reader, or Calibre. It's not a huge deal, but I don't transfer books on all that often, (when I do, it's a lot of books), but I go to read a new book, and nothing...

Thanks for any help, it is appreciated.
nightslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
After transfering books, I usally eject the reader via Calibre and haven't had any problems.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
nightslide
nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I'll try that, I hadn't noticed an eject button right in Calibre. Thank you for the tip!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There's a small down arrow to the right of the Device button at the top of Calibre. Click on that down arrow and one of the options there is "Eject this device."
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
even so, if calibre is causing a power drain in a device that is passively connected - that sounds like a bug, or a faulty device.

I usually eject my devices as per previous advice, but I must have forgotten that at least once & yet never experiences what the OP is describing

It it were my device I test connecting it to PC for a long period 1) with calibre closed, 2) with calibre open, and observe the battery state changes

NB it is known that with some PCs, allowing the PC to sleep while a device is connected can cause battery drain, rather than battery charge, so you need to rule that out first.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
nightslide

Hi there, I appreciate the help from everyone, thank you very much. I haven't tried the eject button yet, but I will when I do my next transfer.
I wanted to clarify though, it's after I unplug the Reader, and turn it off, then turn it off later (ie when I get home) that I'm noticing the battery has discharged.
When I tried it yesterday, I made sure to turn it off (sleep mode, not a full power off), but when I got home to read it last night (8-12 hours later), it was completely dead.
I charged it overnight, and it's fine again.
That leads me to think (happy to hear other ideas) that it isn't recognizing it's been disconnected and stopping the data transfer mode, which continues to drain the battery.
Today when I did it, I did a full power shutdown, restarted it, and just turned it on to check, and it's at full power.

Happy to hear other thoughts, if it's just that I need to Eject it before unplugging, I can do that. I just didn't with my Sony 505, so never had thought of it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

d
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
One thing to mention is to be sure that whatever computer you have the reader hooked up to charge does not go to sleep or hibernate. That definitely drains the battery if that happens during the night at all.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
what he's describing seems to be a T1 sleep bug - may be answered already somewhere on Sony forum, but as the forum stupidly will not accept "T1" as a search term" it won't be that easy to find.

I have read stuff about battery drain during sleep when researching battery life for the older Sony readers.

as I recall there are some hard to explain issues but which only affect a small proportion of users.

I doubt is has any connection with calibre but my proposed 2 tests would prove or disprove that.

when I have experienced unexpected battery drain is was due to me leaving the reader to put itself into auto-sleep but then some bit of fluff or feather on the screen preventing that happening, so that it was drained next morning. There was an argument going around on Sony forum that excessive use of the power slider on older models would cause that to fail so it was better to rely on auto-sleep - but not when you have active budgies!

Last edited by cybmole; 01-15-2014 at 04:06 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I never use the eject button and do not experience this behavior to be honest. I do have things like wifi turned off and I never fully shutdown my reader manually.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
As Cybmole has suggested it may be a case of the "sleep bug". Early on (mine was purchased a few months after they were released to market) I had the experience of finding, rarely though, that when I went to turn to reader on after being left in sleep mode that it claimed that the battery was flat and so would not turn on until charged ("claimed" because without disassembling the reader there is no way to tell).

However, the problem went away soon after others also started mentioning the same thing. Why, I don't know, but it may have been corrected in one of the subsequent firmware updates, so if yours has not been updated to the current then that would be worth doing.

I don't know what the cause was but suspected either a software glitch that erroneously reported a flat battery (i.e. it was not really discharged) or that the wireless transceiver was occasionally turned on when the reader was switched to sleep mode (in my usage wireless was never used) and the battery flattened (the wireless being the only current drawer likely to do that.)

Like Toxaris, I very rarely use the eject button, nor the OS ejection of the device either, and I suspect that your problem is nothing to do with non ejection.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 01-15-2014 at 03:26 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Whether you use the eject button through Calibre or the safely eject device option on the computer, you have to eject it or you could futz up your reader. I don't think you'd kill it but you'd mess it up. I've seen it happen personally and read about it on here.

Just because you haven't had issues yet, doesn't mean you won't. There's a reason why devices have to be safely ejected from the computer.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Whether you use the eject button through Calibre or the safely eject device option on the computer, you have to eject it or you could futz up your reader. I don't think you'd kill it but you'd mess it up. I've seen it happen personally and read about it on here.

Just because you haven't had issues yet, doesn't mean you won't. There's a reason why devices have to be safely ejected from the computer.
The worst that could happen is it gets interrupted while writing data to the drive. But I have never worried about that and got along just fine. It depends on the computer you use, and how much data you are writing.

Once upon a time, I believe it was critical to do so, and it's still smart to continue doing it, but it usually doesn't make a difference. All it is doing is making sure all the data was fully written.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
As Cybmole has suggested it may be a case of the "sleep bug". Early on (mine was purchased a few months after they were released to market) I had the experience of finding, rarely though, that when I went to turn to reader on after being left in sleep mode that it claimed that the battery was flat and so would not turn on until charged ("claimed" because without disassembling the reader there is no way to tell).

However, the problem went away soon after others also started mentioning the same thing. Why, I don't know, but it may have been corrected in one of the subsequent firmware updates, so if yours has not been updated to the current then that would be worth doing.

I don't know what the cause was but suspected either a software glitch that erroneously reported a flat battery (i.e. it was not really discharged) or that the wireless transceiver was occasionally turned on when the reader was switched to sleep mode (in my usage wireless was never used) and the battery flattened (the wireless being the only current drawer likely to do that.)

Like Toxaris, I very rarely use the eject button, nor the OS ejection of the device either, and I suspect that your problem is nothing to do with non ejection.
I don't use Calibre, but have had the "sleep bug" a couple times. In both cases, after I finished reading and deleted the book I had most recently installed, the problem went away, so maybe there was a problem with the book?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote