Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Why does no one make a non glossy LCD tablet?

With desktop monitors, you can get a monitor that runs the gamut from matte to glossy. With LCD tablets, it's glossy all the way. Some make it worse by having a black glossy bevel to boot (eg, the nexus 7, which has a really nice display but the glossy screen and bevel make it look like a mirror.)

Is it just not possible to make a relatively non glossy tablet that looks decent? Or do they figure the.market has spoken and glossy won?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Until someone finally brings out reflective e-ink-like lcd, the good anti-glare ultra matte protector is the way to go (resulting regrettably in lower sharpnes of retina displays) and/or sunshade.

I bet even those first reflective lcds will be glossy, more or less.

Last edited by markom; 01-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It's all about video.
Glossy LCD screens are a relatively recent development. They took over because the colors are more vivid (pop) and it's cheaper to get accurate color for video. And since video is tablets' calling card...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can buy screen protectors that will make the screen matte. I use one on,y phone and until recently used one on my Nexus 7 (took it off so I because it does make video look dull).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I personally hate those glossy screens. First because of the high glare and fingerprint magnetism, but also to touch. I really hated to use touch gestures on my phone before I finally got my matte screen protector.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it also might be a marketing thing. From other posts in this thread it sounds like most people use their tablets for video rather than books and so the glossy screen is better. Companies only make and sell things that will make them $ and the better picture quality they have for video on the tablet the more they are likely to sell.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it also might be a marketing thing. From other posts in this thread it sounds like most people use their tablets for video rather than books and so the glossy screen is better. Companies only make and sell things that will make them $ and the better picture quality they have for video on the tablet the more they are likely to sell.
That was the explanation I saw when laptops started going glossy (which annoyed the heck out of the corporate road warriors), that Apple and Sony were selling out while the non-glare models got dinged in consumer reviews.

It's the same with the emergence of flat chiclet keyboards; when touch typing mattered in keyboard selection, chiclet keyboards were derided--once thin was in, flat minimal travel chiclets took over.

The market follows the money as consumers vote their wallets.
Hard to argue with that.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That was the explanation I saw when laptops started going glossy (which annoyed the heck out of the corporate road warriors), that Apple and Sony were selling out while the non-glare models got dinged in consumer reviews.

It's the same with the emergence of flat chiclet keyboards; when touch typing mattered in keyboard selection, chiclet keyboards were derided--once thin was in, flat minimal travel chiclets took over.

The market follows the money as consumers vote their wallets.
Hard to argue with that.
And that's why I have a non-glossy monitor, a non-glossy laptop and a nice and very large (and absolutely not thin!) Microsoft Natural Keyboard...

I never follow the current flavour of the month
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Because the high gloss style ist quite in fashion. Especially on consumer devices. Compare the displays of consumer and business notebooks.

consumer = high gloss
business = matte

Many peaple are grumbleing about the glossy mirrors. No chance, the marketing division don't whant knowing it. Their way to show modernity of devices is to be glossy.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have a matte monitor and it looks fine to me. Of course I don't watch movies on it because that's what the TV is for. Duh.

Another dumb trend is monitors are now all 16:9. Only the expensive ones are 16:10.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I have a matte monitor and it looks fine to me. Of course I don't watch movies on it because that's what the TV is for. Duh.
... and I replaced my TVs with 27" iMacs. I don't have cable, so I figured with just using full-fledged computers as TVs I wouldn't have the need for separate DVD players or streaming boxes.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Another dumb trend is monitors are now all 16:9. Only the expensive ones are 16:10.
Yeah, on both counts.
I'm a fan of portrait desktop screens and I'm having trouble finding a decent/affordable 16:10 monitor in the 20-24in range.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It's a shame TVs drove monitors to 16:9 instead of the other way around.

The extra 120 pixels would be perfect for subtitles/closed captions.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
Hi,

has anyone got any updated info concerning this topic, I've googled around, but not easy to find good info, i.e for matte screened tablets (that I would like to use as 2nd monitor ...)

Another point: has anyone tried out matte screen protectors? how are they?

cheers !

Last edited by bobodude; 09-08-2015 at 05:08 PM.
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
Hi,

has anyone got any updated info concerning this topic, I've googled around, but not easy to find good info, i.e for matte screened tablets (that I would like to use as 2nd monitor ...)

Another point: has anyone tried out matte screen protectors? how are they?

cheers !
Touch and Matte
Glossy and Greasy is bad enough
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote