Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Amazon has a new trick. Beware!

I have been receiving the Kindle Daily deal for some time and have bought a large number of books that way. Today I want to buy The Medicinal Chef by Dale Pinnock and I find that they will not deliver this to my Kindle 4. They will only deliver to a Kindle Paperwhite or an app on an Android device. They will not even deliver it to my Kindle app on my PC. I have had a few Android devices and still use one of them but I find them too heavy for reading ebooks.
What is Kindle up to now with this new trick? Are they trying to force me to buy a Paperwhite? I have just bought a Pocketbook touch lux from Amazon, which is frankly much better than the Paperwhite, so I have no need of a Paperwhite.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I doubt they're up to much of anything. They've always had certain editions of ebooks that were limited to certain devices/apps. Or possibly it's a glitch?

I can't even buy an ebook version of The Medicinal Chef by Dale Pinnock from Amazon in my market.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-03-2014 at 07:07 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertolt View Post
I have been receiving the Kindle Daily deal for some time and have bought a large number of books that way. Today I want to buy The Medicinal Chef by Dale Pinnock and I find that they will not deliver this to my Kindle 4. They will only deliver to a Kindle Paperwhite or an app on an Android device. They will not even deliver it to my Kindle app on my PC. I have had a few Android devices and still use one of them but I find them too heavy for reading ebooks.
What is Kindle up to now with this new trick? Are they trying to force me to buy a Paperwhite? I have just bought a Pocketbook touch lux from Amazon, which is frankly much better than the Paperwhite, so I have no need of a Paperwhite.
Not new.
Certain books have always been limited to certain Kindle apps or devices.
Not many, but they exist.
It is because their reader apps and devices don't all have the same features.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If that book is incompatible with your old Kindle, then buy a new one

If that new feature isn't on your old Kindle, then buy a new one

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I doubt they're up to much of anything. They've always had certain editions of ebooks that were limited to certain devices/apps. Or possibly it's a glitch?

I can't even buy an ebook version of The Medicinal Chef by Dale Pinnock from Amazon in my market.
I cannot see the Kindle edition either, so I think it's a glitch.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is absolutely nothing new. Some books are limited to specific devices because of the features the book has. This will ALWAYS be specified in the description of the book at Amazon. Return it for a refund if it won't work on your Kindle, and check in the future before you buy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I cannot see the Kindle edition either, so I think it's a glitch.
No reason to think that. Lots of books are not available in certain markets. It is available at Amazon UK, and clearly specified as only working on certain devices:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	available.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	117514  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Some have told me tha these restrictions are due to formating troubbles. Amazon has not been able to get the book to look quite right on the PC app and the company uses restrictions to limit the book to devices where they have gotten the formating right and will open it up to more divices once they get the formating right.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If that book is incompatible with your old Kindle, then buy a new one

If that new feature isn't on your old Kindle, then buy a new one

Nah! I'll just stop buying ebooks from Amazon. I've already unsubscribed from the daily deal.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Nah! I'll just stop buying ebooks from Amazon. I've already unsubscribed from the daily deal.
You're going to stop buying books from Amazon because it's too much effort to see what devices a book is supported on before you buy it?

The number of books that are restricted is very small, and is basically those which use fixed layouts (that's what the issue with this one is, almost certainly) or have embedded multimedia.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Bertolt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is absolutely nothing new. Some books are limited to specific devices because of the features the book has.
All I want from an ebook is words. Is that asking too much? The images on a Kindle ereader aren't worth having. I have bought about 200 books from the Kindle store. In future I'll look elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Some have told me tha these restrictions are due to formating troubbles. Amazon has not been able to get the book to look quite right on the PC app and the company uses restrictions to limit the book to devices where they have gotten the formating right and will open it up to more divices once they get the formating right.
Umm, not allowing those on PC is certainly very strange. Or maybe they are just very lazy with that software. It should be the easiest platform to force the look. Or are they just lacking in quality...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Bertolt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're going to stop buying books from Amazon because it's too much effort to see what devices a book is supported on before you buy it?
That's what I said. I didn't buy the book but I did want to buy it. I have found it elsewhere now but in the epub format which will suit my other devices. Was it too much effort to read my post properly?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
All I want from an ebook is words. Is that asking too much? The images on a Kindle ereader aren't worth having. I have bought about 200 books from the Kindle store. In future I'll look elsewhere.
This is a cookery book - a "picture book". Picture books are almost always device-restricted; normal fiction is not. It seems like a case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face" to abandon Amazon because of the fact that a very small number of books are limited in what devices they can be read on, especially when they actually TELL you that if you take the trouble to look before buying.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
That's the problem. You might not care for the pictures but as soon as they take them out people will complain that the pictures and special formatting are not there.

Also, formatting is much more a problem with the publisher than with Amazon. Publishers choose to format their books a certain way and they don't always jive with every kindle app or device.

So, what Amazon does is just not sell it to people for devices that won't display it the way the publisher formatted it. To me, this is ethical business as I wouldn't want to buy a book and find it to be completely jumbled garbage.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote