Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
New User: Paperwhite2 Queries

I've just got a KPW2 to supplement my aging Sony PRS-300 and find it most impressive: it's so responsive and the display is amazing. I have hit a few minor quirks with the firmware and wondered if these are features or bugs:

1) On Author Sort sometimes the author is sorted by first name instead of last name.

2) When I select Books and sort by Title, Collections are included as well, (even though there's a separate option for filtering by Collections - which correctly omits Titles), which seems odd.

3) When I browse collections On Device, (not Cloud), it still lists all the books which my wife has on her KPW1, but in greyed text. I can understand this when using Cloud mode, since we share an Amazon account, but is this correct for Device mode? I would expect it to just list those books actually on my specific device.

I've read through the manual on the Kindle and gone through all settings but I can't find anything related to these 'features'.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
1. The books that are wrongly sorted have bad metadata.

2, 3. That's just the way it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info. I can fix (1).

(2) and (3) are just minor glitches in an otherwise very impressive product, although this does render collections just about useless. My old Sony had it's own quirks so I guess all readers do.

Last edited by Agama; 12-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
(3) is no minor glitch -- its a very unfortunate side effect of the Cloud Collections feature, and as such worked before the update to firmware v5.4.2, and has garnered much rant and rage, so you're not alone...

Hopefully, Amazon will fix this and (2), considering how many calls they have been getting about it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Agama
Guru

Well I hope so too because they do seem like bugs as they are not respecting the options which the user has chosen. However, I think that this Kindle offers a fantastic reading experience so I'm still happy.
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you desire to do so, and have the patience/inclination, then jailbreak your Kindle and follow the directions here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt to revert back to the 5.4.0 firmware. Since it does not have Cloud Collections, this should all be fixed.

WARNING: This is going to require technical stuff, there is no packaged update, yet. The Kindle developers corner is working on it, I believe...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Agama
Guru

I'll hang on for a while before jailbreaking. Amazon may fix the problem and I have found a way of mitigating it's effects: within a collection, sorting by recent causes the greyed out cloud books to be listed after the on device books.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
dleighb
dleighb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
In the same boat as you, Agama. The collections feature is useless the way it currently is. I am holding on hoping for a fix. I could revert 5.4.0, but I am not technically savvy enough to be able to do it. As the Collections ability is one of the reasons we originally chose the Kindle 3 over some other models, this device will be useless to me if Amazon doesn't fix this or if I can't find a workaround.
dleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Agama
Guru

It is kind of baffling that Amazon have made such a mess of this feature. It has to be a bug in not respecting Cloud vs. Device so I have high hopes that we'll soon see a fix. We've got 3 Kindle users in the house each with their own collections, which magnifies the scale of the problem.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you spoken to Amazon about it? The more people who report it as an issue, the more likely Amazon are to do something.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Agama
Guru

No, I haven't. Is there an 'official' way of reporting bugs and requests to Amazon?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sure - email or phone Kindle CS via the "Contact Us" link on the "My Account" page of the Amazon site.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Agama
Guru

Quote:
Thanks, I'll send them a polite request
Update: I've sent them a polite request.

Last edited by Agama; 12-26-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If you use collections with different names than any other Kindles on your account the problems you describe will magically go away. But you can't just rename the collection. That will rename everyone's collection and not have any other effect. Delete the collection and create a new one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
dleighb
dleighb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I e-mailed Amazon a semi-polite message regarding my frustrations with the collections feature and showing all the cloud items even when "My Device" is selected. I received a relatively quick response telling me that my issues have been forwarded to the development team and that they can all be fixed with a simple software update. They don't know when that next update will be available, but they were working on it. I get the impression that they are receiving quite a few complaints.

I am being patient (not one of my virtues), but mainly, I am waiting to see if ixtab can get the Calibre Collections Manager to work for the PW2 software.

If this doesn't work out, I'll be scouring eBay for a Paperwhite 1st Gen.
dleighb is offline   Reply With Quote