Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Question PRS 505 SD Card Strangeness

I have had my '505' since last October and have always kept books and collections on a 1Gb SD card. No problems.

Yesterday I decided it would be wise to create a backup of the card. I bought a 2Gb Toshiba SD Card (conventional - not high-speed).

Using Windows Vista's file manager and my computer's built in SD slot I formatted the new 2Gb card, then made a complete image of the 1Gb SD card on my hard drive, followed by copying that image to the new 2 Gb card.

I turned off the '505', inserted the new card, and lo and behold it wasn't even recognized as being present! Only my books and collections in RAM showed up.

I turned off the '505', removed the 2Gb card and put the old, previously working 1 Gb card in and turned on the machine (in all cases this was not sleep mode - it was a complete device shut-down.

When I turned on the device with my original card al the books were there but all my collections were gone as was the record of where I was in the book that I had been reading from the card. I then reconnected the '505' to my computer via USB and recreated all the collections.

Anyone have any idea what caused all this - 1) the non-recognition of the data on the 2Gb card (again I did nothing selective - I copied everything rom the original card to the new one!) and 2)what would have caused the erasure of my collection data on the original card?

How would everyone suggest that I perform a back-up of my card?

Thanks.
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Maybe try reformatting the 2GB card using FAT if you didn't use that before?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
That's how I reformatted it before copying anything to it.....
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote